C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Suspension parts question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
Suspension parts question

Curious what the difference is between the control arm and the torque strut (torque thrust arm). I have the W203 parts list and looking at the pictures I see the control arm and that is what I have always known as a control arm. However when I had the work done on my car from my accident the repair order lists that the lower control arm was replaced and I supplied the part...the part I gave them looked like the torque thrust arm. So I am a little confused here.

My main reason for clarification in this is cause my car is creaking and groaning on the drivers side when I go over bumps at slow speeds or turn right at slow speeds. I have done some research on here and so far I am pretty convinced that I need to replace my thrust arms and bearings ( also the tech made a note of them needing to be replaced when I had the new balancer pulley installed, didnt say which side though)

Thanks,
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Suspension parts question-repair-bill.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I believe the torque/thrust arm is the more forward arm and the control arm is the more rearward one that goes toward the frame at a 90* angle. They probably didn't say which side because it is always best to replace in pairs because replacing only one could affect the handling.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A teal Vespa with tassles and glitter. You know you're jealous.
I agree that they should be replaced in pairs. I was just confused by what the dealer( one that repaired my car) called a control arm but when I look it up I see it as torque thrust. Guess I will buy the drivers side torque arms and have them replaced since the pass sides were replaced according to the service write up.