C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Head Gasket

So who has had to replace a head gasket and what where your symptoms?

I just replaced my IC, pressure tested the replacement and everything was golden. Today I pulled the intake manifolds and noticed a bit of white gunk in the passenger side IM. The gunk is dryer than when I replaced the last IC but the last leak was major and this was just a bit of crap in the IM.

I think it is a leaking IC (again) son of a ***** I really hate to have to replace the F'er again but better that than a head gasket.

That being said the shop can not rule out the head gasket so for peace of mind I wanted to see who has replaced their head gasket and what symptoms they had.

Checked the coolant and the oil and everything looks good but again it was just a small bit of crap in the IM so just because there is nothing in the oil or coolant does not necessarily clear the Head Gasket.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM

AQUIRED A C63 AMG PPP
Originally Posted by 430
So who has had to replace a head gasket and what where your symptoms?

I just replaced my IC, pressure tested the replacement and everything was golden. Today I pulled the intake manifolds and noticed a bit of white gunk in the passenger side IM. The gunk is dryer than when I replaced the last IC but the last leak was major and this was just a bit of crap in the IM.

I think it is a leaking IC (again) son of a ***** I really hate to have to replace the F'er again but better that than a head gasket.

That being said the shop can not rule out the head gasket so for peace of mind I wanted to see who has replaced their head gasket and what symptoms they had.

Checked the coolant and the oil and everything looks good but again it was just a small bit of crap in the IM so just because there is nothing in the oil or coolant does not necessarily clear the Head Gasket.
If you look in my thread coolant loss you can see the hassle i had my symptons were oil mixed in the water..put it pressure tested ok ...very confusing, then it happened again oil in water..took me a yr to realise they hadnt done the job right
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
jeremy give jason at buckhead imports a call. he did a modded i/c for a e55 and it seems to be holding up well. smoke out the back is the best indicator of a head gasket leak maybe a compression check to see if the gasket is leaking
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
jeremy give jason at buckhead imports a call. he did a modded i/c for a e55 and it seems to be holding up well. smoke out the back is the best indicator of a head gasket leak maybe a compression check to see if the gasket is leaking
Thanks Steve-

I am pursuing an option for a permanent fix for the intercooler but will keep Jason in mind if it does not work out.

You are of course right about the two signs and I discussed with the shop while I was there. There is no smoke and the shop is happy to perform a pressure test but does not think it will show anything at this time due to how small the leak seems to be.