C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Going to track, need advice on brakes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
Going to track, need advice on brakes.

I have stock brakes on c32 amg recently changed, I'm worrying stock pads might not be good for track, I was looking at stopTech brake pads from tirerack or ebc yellows, probably will need new tires after track, but anyways what do you guys recommend.

Last edited by arekux; 01-09-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
If this is your first time going to a lapping event, then stick with your stock brakes and tires. Just make sure the brake pads and tires are not too worn already for safety reasons.

It's a good idea to make sure the car is in good mechanical shape with all the fluids topped up.

There is nothing wrong with taking a stock car to a lapping event, especially if this is your first time or you are a relative beginner. Generally speaking, the focus should be your driving technique (racing line, braking points, and accelerating points out of corners).

After you get more experience, you may decide to upgrade certain things, but I would only do that after you have determined what needs to be upgraded first by experiencing the stock setup.

Ultimately, the most important "upgrade" is learning to be a better driver on the track. Next comes tires and brake pads/fluids, as these are significant wear and tear items if you track more often. A big brake kit is unnecessary for most people, in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
If this is your first time going to a lapping event, then stick with your stock brakes and tires. Just make sure the brake pads and tires are not too worn already for safety reasons.

It's a good idea to make sure the car is in good mechanical shape with all the fluids topped up.

There is nothing wrong with taking a stock car to a lapping event, especially if this is your first time or you are a relative beginner. Generally speaking, the focus should be your driving technique (racing line, braking points, and accelerating points out of corners).

After you get more experience, you may decide to upgrade certain things, but I would only do that after you have determined what needs to be upgraded first by experiencing the stock setup.

Ultimately, the most important "upgrade" is learning to be a better driver on the track. Next comes tires and brake pads/fluids, as these are significant wear and tear items if you track more often. A big brake kit is unnecessary for most people, in my opinion.
+1. Big brake kit is not necessary but does look good. Just check your brakes and tires visually once in a while during breaks and remember when touching that things get hot down thier. Have fun.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Thanks guys for the advice, ill bring gopro camera too, show u how it goes.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
Change your break fluid before going and make sure you do a few good cool down laps. DO NOT STOP the car with glowing red rotors or you will leave deposits with will shake like hell after.

I run EBC yellows and find no need to upgrade to 6 piston calipers. There is no comparison to the stock pads, they were rubbish.