C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Concerns on c32 camshafts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Rocker bearing seized is what caused the lob to be pushed. Got a tiny nick on cylinder 1. Replaced all three valve, rockers, and cam.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
Originally Posted by loudandheard
I think the main reason why the camshafts were not that popular, besides being so expensive to buy and install, was that they didn't make much gain for the price invested. I think there are a lot of other mods to see the true benefits of cams, but it may be worth it to keep our engines from dying.

Jerry had all sorts of mods on his C32 and he saw maybe 10hp gain from cams, could have been his ported heads though. What kind of gains are you seeing 430 from your cams?
The plan had been to dyno the car after the cams but that did not happen in a short enough time frame or without additional mods being installed.

I got a good deal on the Schrick Cams and am happy with them. But I would not spend $2600 on cams. That being said the gain is not nearly as noticeable as a tune or pulleys.

The idle is not bad at all. It was a bit rough until a couple of issues were addressed.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby GT500
Originally Posted by 430
The plan had been to dyno the car after the cams but that did not happen in a short enough time frame or without additional mods being installed.

I got a good deal on the Schrick Cams and am happy with them. But I would not spend $2600 on cams. That being said the gain is not nearly as noticeable as a tune or pulleys.

The idle is not bad at all. It was a bit rough until a couple of issues were addressed.
Could you please give a part # and contacts of Schrick's?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 AM

Shelby GT500
Originally Posted by Lenin
Remove & Replace cams? It's the same as what you provided in the Kleemann link. I can send you you a file from MB WIS system that dealerships use but it is the same. Kleemann even uses the diagrams that came out of WIS.
Pardon my *French*
I have DAS/EWAnet installed o my machine, just misunderstood you. I thought there are R&R brand cams available for our cars)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 430

Glad to hear the idle is not to bad, does it seem to get noticable when the a/c, and fan are on. From hearing Jerry's on youtube it dosent seem to have realy hard hit, and could you explain what issues were addressed.

Last edited by Justsaymo01; 02-15-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM

SLK32
Originally Posted by lizardjack
Could you please give a part # and contacts of Schrick's?
I got the cams from Erick when he was had LET after Jerry worked out the problems with the cams he received. I am not sure if you can still get a set. First place I would start is to contact Eurocharged. I can look at the box and see about a part number but Eurocharged will have all the info.

Originally Posted by Justsaymo01
Glad to hear the idle is not to bad, does it seem to get noticable when the a/c, and fan are on. From hearing Jerry's on youtube it dosent seem to have realy hard hit, and could you explain what issues were addressed.
The issues were nothing to do with the Cams. I had to replace my third set of motor mounts, had a leaking IC, and a shop seemed to have incorrectly set the gap on the spark plugs.

Idle with or without the AC on is a bit rougher than stock but not as bad as being stock and having bad motor mounts. It is not like having a Mustang with an aggressive cam.

Last edited by 430; 02-15-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 430
I got the cams from Erick when he was had LET after Jerry worked out the problems with the cams he received. I am not sure if you can still get a set. First place I would start is to contact Eurocharged. I can look at the box and see about a part number but Eurocharged will have all the info.

The issues were nothing to do with the Cams. I had to replace my third set of motor mounts, had a leaking IC, and a shop seemed to have incorrectly set the gap on the spark plugs.

Idle with or without the AC on is a bit rougher than stock but not as bad as being stock and having bad motor mounts. It is not like having a Mustang with an aggressive cam.
Wonder why so many motor mounts were failing. Do you recall if your ecu was retuned after the cam install, and would you minde listing what other mods are done to your car, reason why I'm asking is I'm wondering how well our stock fuel pump, and injectors keep up with multiple mods. Right now I have a eurocharge's s/c pulley, ecu tune, tcu tune, intercooler bypass kit, diy code3 intake with k&n filters. All of this input from you'll is great .
Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM

SLK32
One of the sets of motor mounts had some life left in them but I had purchased a set of headers from Vadim that did not fit. He suggested new motor mounts. Which did not solve the problem.

I had the ECU tune prior to the cams. Got an updated tune something like a year later.

I am having no fueling issues. My A/F is 11.8 at WOT, near the top of the rev range

Mods:
185mm Pulley
Schrick Cams
CM90 IC pump (dying and about to drop to a CM30)
SL55 intake with K&N Filters
Needswings modified intake manifolds
Coated & Wrapped Intercooler
Large Heat Exchanger for IC system
Seperated cooling system
Deleted Resonator
Deleted Secondary Cats
Needswings Catch Can
PTE Cold Thermostat
Needswings PSK
Poly Motor Mounts
Eurocharged ECU Tune
Polished and coated SC Snout
Polished and coated SC Y-Pipe
Limited Slip Diff
Adjustable camber arms
Poly steering bushings
1 step colder spark plugs

I feel like I am missing something from the list but can't think of what it is right now.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 430
One of the sets of motor mounts had some life left in them but I had purchased a set of headers from Vadim that did not fit. He suggested new motor mounts. Which did not solve the problem.

I had the ECU tune prior to the cams. Got an updated tune something like a year later.

I am having no fueling issues. My A/F is 11.8 at WOT, near the top of the rev range

Mods:
185mm Pulley
Schrick Cams
CM90 IC pump (dying and about to drop to a CM30)
SL55 intake with K&N Filters
Needswings modified intake manifolds
Coated & Wrapped Intercooler
Large Heat Exchanger for IC system
Seperated cooling system
Deleted Resonator
Deleted Secondary Cats
Needswings Catch Can
PTE Cold Thermostat
Needswings PSK
Poly Motor Mounts
Eurocharged ECU Tune
Polished and coated SC Snout
Polished and coated SC Y-Pipe
Limited Slip Diff
Adjustable camber arms
Poly steering bushings
1 step colder spark plugs

I feel like I am missing something from the list but can't think of what it is right now.
Wow, after seeing that list of upgrades I feel much better about the stock fuel system. It might be a bit, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go through with the cam swap. I've spent way over $2,500 in upgrades to the car so I'll probably spend the extra the money in cams to keep my car alive. I think I'll give eurocharged a call to see if they can tell me if there's much difference between the schrick cams, and the kleemann cams. I'm pretty sure the kleemann's are my only option. I've heard that the kleemann's are made by schrick but might have different specs.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM

c32 amg
430 Hi. Check out your private mail please.

Last edited by lostandleft; 03-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 AM

c32 amg
lizardjack Look at the link below that is the camshafts you need.
http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/Merced...ICK+V6+256.htm

Last edited by lostandleft; 03-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by lostandleft
lizardjack Look at the link below that is the camshafts you need.
http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/Merced...ICK+V6+256.htm
Unfortunately these are not the cams you want. The ones above are for an NA motor (a 320) and not a SC motor (32).
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Has anyone had any dealings with the Kleemann super sport cams. The way kleemann advertises it can be used in either n/a or s/c engines. I'm thinking its not a real aggressive cam so it could used in either motor but that's just speculating, and from when I called them for pricing & availability, they said I shouldn't need to mess with my ecu, which there again makes me think its not to aggressive. I've heard some say they've had to have the idle bumped up a little with the schrick cams do to such a lumpy idle. My whole objective is to get rid of my junk 02' cams for ease of mind, and maybe gain a little power in the process, I just don't want alot of headaches in the process. I keep hearing that kleemann cams are made by schrick , but if schrick doesn't make or sell them anymore how can kleemann still be selling cams . I'll have the money in a couple of weeks to buy the cams, I just want to get all the advice, and opinions I can before making the purchase .
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 PM

Shelby GT500
Has anyone had any dealings with the Kleemann super sport cams. The way kleemann advertises it can be used in either n/a or s/c engines. I'm thinking its not a real aggressive cam so it could used in either motor but that's just speculating, and from when I called them for pricing & availability, they said I shouldn't need to mess with my ecu, which there again makes me think its not to aggressive. I've heard some say they've had to have the idle bumped up a little with the schrick cams do to such a lumpy idle. My whole objective is to get rid of my junk 02' cams for ease of mind, and maybe gain a little power in the process, I just don't want alot of headaches in the process. I keep hearing that kleemann cams are made by schrick , but if schrick doesn't make or sell them anymore how can kleemann still be selling cams . I'll have the money in a couple of weeks to buy the cams, I just want to get all the advice, and opinions I can before making the purchase .
+1
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Not sure what other answers you are looking for. Call Kleemann and ask to talk to Cory. He should be able to answer all your questions related to the current Kleemann products. Otherwise, listen to what Jake said:
Originally Posted by loungn14
I wouldn't waste the $ on cams...

Jerry's picked up 10whp over mine when he did the cams. I spent the money in other places, and we all know how that turned out...

or just get the OEM updated part.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Hey guys I finally after all the contemplating about cams went with the Kleemann super sport cams. They ended up being $2,500 by the time they got to my front door, and about another $200 in specialty tools and gaskets. The cams came with all new rocker shaft bolts. I did the install all my self which wasn't to bad other then the part where you have to zip tie the cam sprockets up so the chain doesn't fall or slip on the crank sprocket, this part was a bit nail biting. The car idles great, and has a very slight lope, the rpm's really didn't change at idle or when in gear. I haven't had much time to drive it but it does seem to definitively have more mid range power, but the track will be the judge of that.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03' CL600
Two questions:

1) Is Mercedes North America aware of this issue?

2) Is there a factory bulletin recall on this issue?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM

2003 C32 AMG
found this on german forum

An AMG mechanic confirmed the problem is mainly on 01 and 02. The cam can slightly twist on the axle. Its uncommon, but i do happen. Seems to affect heavily tuned cars more.

I used google translate on this.

http://forum.amg-owners-club.org/pub...e-kompression/
Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by marw
An AMG mechanic confirmed the problem

http://forum.amg-owners-club.org/pub...e-kompression/
Wow, nice work.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by 430
If you are worried about it I have a set of stock camshafts from my 2003 SLK32 just sitting on the shelf I am willing to sell. I had ~25k-30k miles on my car when I upgraded to a set of Schrick cams.
430 - old post but wondering if you still have your old stock camshafts for the SLK32 and if so, would those work for the C32? let me know as i'd be interested in the passenger/right one if available

my car is in the shop getting cylinder 1 compression issue checked out and the suspicion is i have the problematic camshafts as my car was one of the early 2003s that EPC confirms had the bad camshafts.