C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Radio Issues Cutting in and out diagnosed C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 C55 AMG
Radio Issues Cutting in and out diagnosed C55

So my radio was having the typical issues of turning on and off and cutting in and out. I took it to the MB dealership to diagnose it and the HK amp somehow got wet in the last rain storm. I need a replacement amp and they want $2300 for it! SERIOUSLY?

What are my options? I am tempted to just rewire the whole car and change out speakers, head unit, and amp.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I thought I read in a previous thread that 91RS swapped out the amp for something aftermarket? I'd be keen to see what the options are too, if my dies too. I suppose with a a bit of homework and wiring, one could wire in an aftermarket item for maybe a couple hundred dollars' outlay?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Now you're speaking my language
Old 03-22-2012, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Quickvr4
So my radio was having the typical issues of turning on and off and cutting in and out. I took it to the MB dealership to diagnose it and the HK amp somehow got wet in the last rain storm. I need a replacement amp and they want $2300 for it! SERIOUSLY?

What are my options? I am tempted to just rewire the whole car and change out speakers, head unit, and amp.
Same thing happened to my wife's car, but was fixed under warranty. Not sure how the water got in, but looks like they resealed the area and I have not had a problem since.

I remember a fellow member had a similar incident and was able to dry out the amp, clean up the corrosion, and got it to work or you could always take it to an electronics repair place.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Same thing happened to my wife's car, but was fixed under warranty. Not sure how the water got in, but looks like they resealed the area and I have not had a problem since.

I remember a fellow member had a similar incident and was able to dry out the amp, clean up the corrosion, and got it to work or you could always take it to an electronics repair place.
I will give that a shot but I would also like to find an aftermarket alternative/setup for our cars.
I guess we would a need a fiber optic conversion kit with a 2ohm amplifier.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 C43 AMG
I was having the same problem until I hooked up my aux cable. When i took the panels out n the passenger side to access the harness i pushed all the connectors to make sure they were extra tight, and made sure the wires werent pinching on anything. My radio would sometimes cut out, as well as the display. Since I hooked up my aux cable, hasnt happened. Not saying that is what has happened to you, but for anyone else check this first.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C55
When I bought my car I had no bass what so ever and it made for a drab 700 mile ride home kinda blahhh.. It turned out to be a loose ground coming off of the battery.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C55
haha AlabasterC55!
2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen - Crazy torque steer!
The torque steer on the viggen is impossible to handle with a manual tranny! I remember launching off the line was difficult as it needed two hands at all times! although it was pretty grounded at 155 mph!