C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Few questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Few questions...

• I always thought that when you paddle shifted down while in sport mode, it held that gear no matter what. I noticed accidentally yesterday that it did in fact downshift as I slowed down for a speed bump, even though the console said I was in "3" in sport mode. (Which makes sense, since otherwise, the car would stall out or have trouble moving in 3 at very low speeds). Which leads me to wonder if the "3" is the upper limit and the car would shift down and up within that limit. If true, that's a really clever feature. Can anyone confirm?
  • Anyone know if there is a sensor or warning light for transmission oil level? I changed the tranny oil recently and while I put in exactly what came out, just curious if the car would tell me if something was off?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
In S and C modes the car will automatically upshift at redline and downshift to prevent stalling at low revs.

In M mode the car will not upshift even if you bounce off the rev limiter at redline. It will still downshift on its own to prevent stalling at low rpm's.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
The only way to check transmission fluid level is with the MB special tool. Worth the money since over or under filling cam damage the transmission.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
  • I always thought that when you paddle shifted down while in sport mode, it held that gear no matter what. I noticed accidentally yesterday that it did in fact downshift as I slowed down for a speed bump, even though the console said I was in "3" in sport mode. (Which makes sense, since otherwise, the car would stall out or have trouble moving in 3 at very low speeds). Which leads me to wonder if the "3" is the upper limit and the car would shift down and up within that limit. If true, that's a really clever feature. Can anyone confirm?
  • Anyone know if there is a sensor or warning light for transmission oil level? I changed the tranny oil recently and while I put in exactly what came out, just curious if the car would tell me if something was off?
This is how it is in my 99 C43 so I would imagine it is the same with any other AMG. If I put it in "2" it will start in 1st then shift to 2nd and hold until I manually shift. It is the same with any other gear, the gear selected is the highest it will shift but it will down shift and up shift between 1st and the gear selected.

There is no electronic indicator for tranny fluid levels that I know of.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by 91RS
The only way to check transmission fluid level is with the MB special tool. Worth the money since over or under filling cam damage the transmission.
I bought that tool and found it wasn't very useful. I drained 3.85 liters and put in 4 and it showed I was WAY over the mark indicated. I am guessing I got the wrong tool or something else was up.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Transmission dipsticks are different from engine dipsticks. That space between the two marks does not represent one quart like an engine dipstick does. As long as the dipstick is the correct part and you were able to get it to reach the bottom of the pan. it should be accurate.

As far as the shifting, I've NEVER driven mine in C[omfort] mode. In S[port], whatever gear you've selected will be the highest gear it will shift to UNLESS you hit redline and then it will shift to the next gear. Otherwise it will upshift and downshift within that range. Say if you've selected 3rd, it will shift between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. In M[anual] mode whatever gear you select is where it will stay. It will downshift when coming to a stop to prevent stalling and will change the number displayed in the cluster when doing so. If you're crusing and have 5th selected and put your foot down and down't select a different gear it will stay in 5th.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
This is how it is in my 99 C43 so I would imagine it is the same with any other AMG. If I put it in "2" it will start in 1st then shift to 2nd and hold until I manually shift. It is the same with any other gear, the gear selected is the highest it will shift but it will down shift and up shift between 1st and the gear selected.
It's exactly as you say for the C55.