C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need budget minded advice on suspension repair/repalcement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Need budget minded advice on suspension repair/repalcement

OK, I've spent an hour or two searching and with kids, wives, commutting and work that's pretty much my limit...so I'm hoping to just ask some of you in the know to give me some advice/opinions as I'm still confused.

So, I have a broken rear spring. My butt is now sqeaking like crazy and I want to get this taken care of as cheaply as possible as I'm only keeping the car for 2 years at the most. I don't care too much about handling nor do I care about lowering as I think the car looks good, but if an option does lower it a 'little' that would be OK and if an option does provide some handling benefit I'd be interested if the cost is right.

So my thought would be to just replace the shock and spring on that side only..this gets me to about $230 shipped,,,my questions

1.) What else should I buy to do this job? should I get a new pad that sits over spring and new shock bumper as well? (only adds $10)

2.) Can I get away with replacing just one side? Or do I need to get a new spring ($60 ea) and/or Shock ($165 ea) for other side as well?

3.) On parts.com they reference shocks w/Sport and W/O Sport...any idea what that means and which one I would need?

4.) OK so if you do think 1 & 2 are needed, we're looking at $500 almost there alone...any aftermarket options to consider at that point? What are the shock and strut options out there that are cheaper than stock?

5.) as note I do have to do something ( replace) a control arm on the front so if any ideas you have include doing something up front as well, note I'll be working up there anyway in future to address clunking issue when braking (no rush on that).

Any advice/opinions on all this?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Check out this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...placement.html

I would recommend changing both springs and struts if you can, you may develop the issue with the other side.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM

CLS55
that's perfect man...thanks. I ordered the Bilstein sports for the rear.

I'll also get new OEM springs for the rear. I would ask everyone what else I whould get while I'm at this, car has 85k miles on it.

Oh, I noticed tirerack has some new 'touring' struts...only about $100 each, just FYI for anyone looking to reaplce front end....
Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by testknight
that's perfect man...thanks. I ordered the Bilstein sports for the rear.

I'll also get new OEM springs for the rear. I would ask everyone what else I whould get while I'm at this, car has 85k miles on it.

Oh, I noticed tirerack has some new 'touring' struts...only about $100 each, just FYI for anyone looking to reaplce front end....
That's a great deal, have you thought about getting C55 springs. I got them for the front and they dropped my ride height just a little over the way it was. They were $75 each for the front and I'm not sure how much for the rear.

Check out this link: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...de-height.html
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 BMW M3, 11 BMW M3 Vert, 04 Porsche GT3
I have a spare set of C32 springs at home. Pay for shipping and I'll send it to you.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 AM

CLS55
Hey Inflectionpt...I might just take you up on that...I'll message you on that offer. I just laid down for the EC headers so am tight on cash and not bieng a big handling guy I was actually satisfied with stock setup.