C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Saaboteur's C55

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
LOL, haven't even bought tires yet! But my car is parked for the winter, so I have a bit of time. My plan is to get the tires this month or next, and then I'll be able to mount up and test fit everything.

The wheels' centre bore is like 72mm or something, so whilst I have tried fitting them to the car without rubber nor spacers, they don't exactly give a good idea. Eagerly looking forward to it! Also, it seemed to me that the offset wasn't exactly as the seller had described.

Currently contemplating acquiring a Star diagnostics system. Cost benefit analysis points to the fact that the local indy shop will probably charge me $150-200 to code the Comand to the car...that money can be directed towards the Star, and then I can try to recoup some of that money by offering diagnostics to other local Benz guys.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 02-06-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A few more things showed up today.

Got the emergency triangle and the fire extinguisher bracket, along with a bunch of fasteners.

And a closer look at the bracket:

Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got the fire extinguishers sorted out. I think there must be some differences with the C55 seats compared to a regular 203. The metal mounting bracket I got is a 203 part, but two of the four tabs don't line up. Also, the screws I ordered (based on the prts list from the other link I posted) were too small in diameter. I ended up using some off the shelf sheet metal screws from Home Depot. Hopefully it'll be solid enough, seems okay for now but I haven't driven the car at all.

Also, I think I've found out the differences between the various emergency triangles. The 203 and 211 triangles must be smaller, because the 000 one I got is larger and comes in its own case - it's not meant to be mounted on the trunk. It's too large to fit into the indentation in the trunk. Looks like I'm gonna hafta splash out for the more expensive 203 piece...
Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cheapest mod ever - and functional too!

Last night I picked up some velcro at a fabric store - much, much cheaper than the prepacked stuff at a hardware or auto parts store. The purpose? Just to help secure stuff in the trunk. I have a paranoia about not being able to start the car, so I have taken to keeping a mobile jump start in each of our cars. And this time of year, with very messy roads from the melting snow, it's nice to keep a jug of washer fluid in the trunk too.

Problem is, with the Weathertech mat I have in there now, I can't use the OE cargo net. I wish Weathertech had cut outs for the cargo D rings, but they don't for the C-Class. Unfortunate, because my Weathertech mats for the LR3 and A4 Avant do have them.

And so those items in the trunk will just roll around unless secured. Now the emergency kit (with jumper cables and other stuff) the OE BMW oil bottle bag both have velcro to secure them in place, but obviously not the mobile start or the washer fluid. And Benz didn't thoughtfully provide securing straps or side cargo nets like my Audi. The little cargo cubbyholes on the side are nice, but not big enough for the larger items, so the resolution was to acquire the velcro strips! I think I paid a total of $6 for 3 metres of the stuff, which is way more than sufficient. In contrast, Canadian Tire wants $12 for a 12" piece, and much thinner too.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Nice thinking!!
wanna part with the oe cargo net?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'09 ML 500 (550) Off road Package
Don't those mobile jumpers blow the SAM units? Ive also read in the manual (I think) that it should not be used. When I bought my C 55 it was a week late for delivery because the guys at the dealer had to jump it and they used one of those and blew the rear SAM unit. Well if you ever need it just put your headlights on before you connect it, that's what I do when I need to jump mine after fooling around with the sound system and I use a normal battery charger.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
I like the mod, it looks classy too.
You still have to bring this beast by the dealership, I'll treat her good.

Bring it for the next A or B service!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
i used them several times on my old c230 and it was fine...
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
Got the fire extinguishers sorted out. I think there must be some differences with the C55 seats compared to a regular 203. The metal mounting bracket I got is a 203 part, but two of the four tabs don't line up. Also, the screws I ordered (based on the prts list from the other link I posted) were too small in diameter. I ended up using some off the shelf sheet metal screws from Home Depot. Hopefully it'll be solid enough, seems okay for now but I haven't driven the car at all.

Also, I think I've found out the differences between the various emergency triangles. The 203 and 211 triangles must be smaller, because the 000 one I got is larger and comes in its own case - it's not meant to be mounted on the trunk. It's too large to fit into the indentation in the trunk. Looks like I'm gonna hafta splash out for the more expensive 203 piece...
I had the same experience with the warning triangle. Let us know if you find the right part number, I gave up.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

did you have to remove the seat to install bracket for fire extinguisher
did you have to any drill holes on bottom seat rails to bolt the bracket or holes are already drilled from factory

i am doing this mod on my car this year
Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Forgot to respond to Ghiaguy - I'm still undecided on whether to keep the Weathertech or not. If I do, then I'm keeping the cargo net. I might just keep the cargo net anyway though, in case I do ever need it. I probably have the part number kicking around though, but you can always just call the local dealer. I don't think it was stupid expensive (well, I guess it was expensive for what it is, but not like it was $300 or anything like that).

No drilling or seat removal required to fit the fire extinguisher bracket. However, I did have to use larger screws. They went into the pre-existing holes.

Re: the emergency triangles - if you scroll back a page or so, I listed both 203 and 211 part numbers for them. The one I bought began with 000. I'm guessing the 203 one will fit into the trunk indentation for sure.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GPS antennas I ordered arrived the other day. I hope they're good, as they are no name eBay items. Only paid US$36 shipped for two of them though. An amazon.ca seller wanted, with shipping, about C$40 for just one. Might as well buy two for that price.

I've set aside time next weekend to put the COMAND unit into the car. The Itronic should go in too, and I may even hardwire my V1 too.

Picked up one of these for the car:
http://performancepackage.com/?data=...sp&sku=3003000

I've had the V1 hardwired into my S2000 for a while now, using a Blendmount bracket. It wasn't intended for the S2000 though, so it was slightly hack. Still haven't found a perfect, more permanent V1 mount for the Benz, so that's the reason for the Performance Package mount. Ironically, they have V1 specific mounts for the S2000, but now I've got that car provisionally sold....making way for a 911, hopefully soon (but probably later as I need to save some more!).

I also have one of these V1 hardwire kits that I bought a long while ago, with a remote mute button:
http://www.safe-n-sound1.com/Valenti...nd%20Mute.html

I think I may mount the mute button in one of the switch blanks above the stereo.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
The GPS antennas I ordered arrived the other day. I hope they're good, as they are no name eBay items. Only paid US$36 shipped for two of them though. An amazon.ca seller wanted, with shipping, about C$40 for just one. Might as well buy two for that price. I've set aside time next weekend to put the COMAND unit into the car. The Itronic should go in too, and I may even hardwire my V1 too. Picked up one of these for the car: http://performancepackage.com/?data=...sp&sku=3003000 I've had the V1 hardwired into my S2000 for a while now, using a Blendmount bracket. It wasn't intended for the S2000 though, so it was slightly hack. Still haven't found a perfect, more permanent V1 mount for the Benz, so that's the reason for the Performance Package mount. Ironically, they have V1 specific mounts for the S2000, but now I've got that car provisionally sold....making way for a 911, hopefully soon (but probably later as I need to save some more!). I also have one of these V1 hardwire kits that I bought a long while ago, with a remote mute button: http://www.safe-n-sound1.com/Valenti...nd%20Mute.html I think I may mount the mute button in one of the switch blanks above the stereo.
I hard wired my v1. You just need the accessory attachment box that came with the V1. Just wired it to the cig lighter
Old 03-23-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
did you lose the suction kit that comes with the V1?

and the fuse power adapter is cool. I'm probably gonna pick that up because It was a pain finding a 12v in my fuse that turns off when the car is off...i tapped it accidentally to one that keeps power even after the car is off and I didnt wanna keep splicing wires to figure it out. The only thing I would be worried about is if the blade sticks far enough out of the fuse that it will interfere with the access panel there on the side and I dont want another wire connected to my cig lighter.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I dunno where my original suction cups are for the V1. I wasn't a big fan of them to begin with, as they seem to lose suction when it's warm, and then they also lose suction when they're cold. Can never win. This aftermarket one seems to have a much stronger suction cup on it, like the one I have for an external GoPro mount, so it should be much stronger.

I think I'd better check my S2000 for the rest of the V1 wiring, but it might be a big hassle to try to remove it. I picked up a couple of those Safe-n-Sound kits years ago, just never got around to installing them though. My plan was to have one in each car, so I could just swap the V1 around.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:33 AM

C55 AMG
That sux, I still have my original sucktion cup holder from 5 years or more ago and it never looses suction. The car has been sitting in 100+ deg F and around -20f this winterand it ever fell off. I still have the original backup one too if needed. Sounds like you Got a dud with your kit
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM

C55 AMG
Cheapest mod ever - and functional too!

Last night I picked up some velcro at a fabric store - much, much cheaper than the prepacked stuff at a hardware or auto parts store. The purpose? Just to help secure stuff in the trunk. I have a paranoia about not being able to start the car, so I have taken to keeping a mobile jump start in each of our cars. And this time of year, with very messy roads from the melting snow, it's nice to keep a jug of washer fluid in the trunk too.

Problem is, with the Weathertech mat I have in there now, I can't use the OE cargo net. I wish Weathertech had cut outs for the cargo D rings, but they don't for the C-Class. Unfortunate, because my Weathertech mats for the LR3 and A4 Avant do have them.

And so those items in the trunk will just roll around unless secured. Now the emergency kit (with jumper cables and other stuff) the OE BMW oil bottle bag both have velcro to secure them in place, but obviously not the mobile start or the washer fluid. And Benz didn't thoughtfully provide securing straps or side cargo nets like my Audi. The little cargo cubbyholes on the side are nice, but not big enough for the larger items, so the resolution was to acquire the velcro strips! I think I paid a total of $6 for 3 metres of the stuff, which is way more than sufficient. In contrast, Canadian Tire wants $12 for a 12" piece, and much thinner too.

Are you not worried that the Velcro will tear up your trunk when you pull it off?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My wife had the same concern! So far it isn't an issue. I'll keep an eye on it. The bigger issue seems to be that due to the weight of the mobile start thingy, the velcro doesn't always keep it secure. I frequently have to reattach it after a drive. Maybe I'll try two velcro strips instead of just one. The washer fluid jug hasn't moved at all though.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The more I think on the velcro the more I like it! I might do it to secure my gym bag and sunvisor when not in use. Good work Saaboteur!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:08 PM

C55 AMG
I'm not too sure i like that idea. I would rather get some belts with a clip that you can tighten for bigger things. Here's an example of what I did with my Methanol tank in my 335i. They are pretty cheap and looks a bit cleaner and more reliable.

For your example, i would get these belts / clips and make a little slit on the side to slide them through... that way you wont ever have an issue of it coming loose or flailing your trunk up.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You guys are making my trunk look recklessly haphazard.
Another thing on my to-do list...
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ghiaguy
You guys are making my trunk look recklessly haphazard.
Another thing on my to-do list...
hahaha
Old 03-25-2014, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, I like the clipped belt idea too - how did you secure it in your car?

BTW, the new Performance Package V1 mount arrived, looks sturdy! The 2012 nav CD I bought from another forum member also arrived yesterday, so now I'm all set for installing all the electronics goodies on Saturday!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Both Velcro and belts look like a great idea, I have my spare socket set and sun visor rolling around all the time and it drives me nuts! Thanks for the ideas guys
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Found a couple part numbers:

B 6 7 66 0062 side net
B 6 7 66 0061 sill net

The parts guy I use says he thinks the side net can be used on both sides, so ostensibly you could buy two of them. I might grab one or both of these to continue to have some cargo net capability in the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Saaboteur's C55