C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Damaged Parking Brake Mechanism?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE400
Exclamation Damaged Parking Brake Mechanism?

Hey guys, I think something is wrong with my parking brakes.

So the problem was caused by: I recently tried to swap wheels but had the improper spacers without realizing it (10mm) to be exact. Thus the bolts were in there too deep and when I initially tested out the wheels, i heard a really loud clicking noise every time the wheels turned. Something was wrong, and i knew it. So I went back into my garage and removed the wheel and it was already too late, the lugs had scraped against something inside and the threads had been damaged. I got the appropriate 10mm spacer (hubcentric of course) and kept my fingers crossed when I put the new wheels on and took it for a test spin. Just as i feared the rear parking brake was all out of wack. I even tried adjusting it (tighten all the way then back off 8 clicks. I did 12 to be safe) but the parking brake kept acting up and when i actuated the foot brake after adjusting it it would be maybe 10 clicks of force, but after driving the car for a little, the parking brake will start getting tighter and tighter maybe down to 3-5 click before i used the same force at i normally would to get 10 clicks. Can anyone shed some light on my issue? What did I break? >.<

Also: I don't have the right star bit for my impact driver to remove the rear hub. What size is it guys? T-40?

Thanks for hearing me out. I feel like an awesome idiot
Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Parking brake drum is a pretty simple mechanism once you see how it works. Take the disc off and see Watcha got
Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE400
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Parking brake drum is a pretty simple mechanism once you see how it works. Take the disc off and see Watcha got
thanks imma go to kragens today and buy the star bit for my impact screw driver we'll see how things turn out.