Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
CL grill installation

I ordered the 55 tech grill from ebay. It seems they all come from taiwan just like the rear diffusers. This is the seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/160714645173...84.m1497.l2649 I cannot believe how fast it arrived and shipping was VERY cheap. It took about 4 days from payment to arrive halfway around the world.

Installation is extremely easy but I have a few pointers that might save you 30 seconds. Here is the new grill, you can see they put at least some thought into it. The arrow shows the mould for the hood latch.

Simply undo these 6 bolts. Note that the new one has 8 bolt holes and so does the hood. You can leave them empty but I had 2 screws the right size lying around so I used all 8 holes.

You do not have to take the old clips (to screw into) off the oem grill. This one comes with 8 new ones. I didn't realise this and tried to use the stock ones which do not fit the new grill. I then had a better look in the box and found the new ones.

The grill comes with a longer hood latch. Simply use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off the C-clip with the red arrow. Then all the stuff slides off to the right. Reverse install with the new latch.

The round plastic thing with the mesh and the silver star come separate from the grill. The round thing simply fits in from the back and you turn it about 5mm to lock the 3 clips into the grill. You will need 6 arms to do this. The star is more of a problem. It does not clip in. It will sit in the space but it will come out straight away with the slightest knock. The kit comes with a small metal washer looking thing which is supposed to hold it in from the back. I used a plastic bonding agent- the 2 part sort that says it will burn you and will bond to your skin in 3 seconds. I will use the clip it came with as well.

Stock grill, looks ok but more conservative and probably the most aging external feature in my opinion.

Obviously not everyone likes this grill but the install is the same for most of them. I think it is much more modern and sporty. Definitely need to take off the hood upright star though.

If this came up behind you at twice your speed I think most people would give it some respect.... and flip you off.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Just want to emphasize again that you DO NOT install the star into the plastic round thing and then put it in the grill. You HAVE to put the plastic thing in the back of the grill and then install the star from the front.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
Looks good
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by macbryanie
Looks good
Thanks, I think it has changed the look of the car heaps. I don't think I need a CF lip anymore.