Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Kleemann LSD Vs. Quaife LSD

Hey guys,

What have you guys heard or experienced in terms of these two LSD's.

Quaife is the helical diff, while the Kleemann is the spring operated diff.

Which one is better? And why?

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 09-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
I'm thinking of buying a LSD, it be interesting to know the difference.
Im sure everyone will say go for the Quaife.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 AM

05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
the only problem is neither make a lsd for the c32,,, only wavetrac is the only one we have for the C32 and the Crossfire,(same rear) and i think Needswings carries them ,,,jim

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...2-srt-6-a.html
Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 AM

2002 C32 AMG
http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/search/...s/taxonomy:267

QDF7V -
Mercedes C32 AMG 00-07MY Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by amx1397
the only problem is neither make a lsd for the c32,,, only wavetrac is the only one we have for the C32 and the Crossfire,(same rear) and i think Needswings carries them ,,,jim

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...2-srt-6-a.html
On the contrary, wavetrac is the only one that doesn't make a diff for the C32. Both Kleeman and Quaife do.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
The Kleeman units look to be of the 'Phantom Grip' type. The Quaife is a true diff - I would spend the extra and go with the Quaife.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
Quaife

I have Quaife in my E63, very happy with it. I believe part number for the C32 is QDF7V. Be sure to get a good installer who knows what they are doing.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I don't know anyone that has the Kleeman model. That's not to say it's a bad unit, just never had any first hand reviews. I have the Quaife installed in my car and it was night and day difference. It feels like I'm actually getting the 374 hp to the pavement and not losing it on a retarded one wheel burnout. The hardest selling point for me was that it cost so much and I didn't see a direct translation to increased power (read: dyno numbers). However, no matter how many power adders you have, it's kinda wasted when you can't put the power down.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Thanks guys. For some reason though, the Quiafe unit has gone up in price substantially and would be around $200 installed. It's just way more than I want to spend. The Kleemann unit is priced much more reasonbly and is within my reach. I know not to many people have it, but I'm really looking for true differences between the two and pros and cons to each. I know the Quaife is a helical type while the Kleemann provides the box/spring spider gear deal.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM

03 C32 AMG
Gotta pay to play!

The Quaife has gone up in price for the C32 because it's a low production unit.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
And the quaife is a whole new unit, while the Kleemann is just a differential tweak... Ugh, so confused...
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You would be best served, in my view, in saving up for the Quaife instead of buying the Kleeman Phantom Grip type piece. The Quaife is the real deal; the Phantom Grip pieces are useful when there are no other options. Do it right the first time and be done with it.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Definitely go with the Quaife. I have installed quite a few. I have also dealt with the Kleemann. As said. If there is no other available option the phantom grip units are ok. The problem is that they are just metal on metal on the spider gears. No clutches like a real spring loaded lsd clutch. The slip rate is set and does not have a high % of load. And the cost of installation is really not any different. In fact I would probably charge a little more for the phantom grip. Once the carrier is out of the differential swapping it with the Quaife one is really easy.
The Quaife unit is torque biasing. It is constantly adjusting the transfer of torque two each wheel. The only down side to the unit is that if you lift one wheel off the ground it goes open and spins that tire. Which can be good if you are driving hard. May keep you from spinning out. Also lifetime guaranty on the Quaife unit. It is also seamless in daily driving.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Looks like I'm going to have to go with the Quaife then. Thanks for the advice all.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Just got my Quaife installed. I love it. Ironically, the place I got it installed at was a Kleeman dealer so he was trying to push his LSD product hard. They did a good job. The Quaife unit has gone up in price substantially. I paid $1600CDN and that was at a friends discounted rate. Installation was a bit pricey too as a Kleeman dealer did the install for me. However, I would glady pay more for it to be installed once and installed correctly.

BTW, for those planning on installing these on the 2002 C32 models, you no longer need the updated axles. Qauife makes a newer design LSD that works with the 2002 Axles. I just had the guy put in new seals, washers etc and everything lined up, no leaks.

BTW, if the phantom grip / Kleeman units were the only choices for an LSD For my car, I would pass and spend the money on something else. Quaife all the way or nothing. The Kleeman LSD parts the tech showed me came in a ziploc bag. There wasn't much too it and didn't inspire confidence. I can put the power down much easier. The car loves to go sideways when I get both wheels spinning in a straight line. It's an odd feeling. I haven't had a chance to take it to the track, but turn in is so much sharper and I can actually put the power down properly through the corners. I suspect I should keep up with the M3's a bit better this time on my next track day. Not just blowing by them in the straights.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 10-08-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
My fav video of mine representing the Quaife

Miss that car!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Like said, kleemann is a seudo diff. Quaife is an actual replacement diff. If you feel the need for a LSD setup for your driving (i could use one, but dont feel like spending) by all means go for it.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Okay guys, the Quaife may be slightly better for tracking and an overall better diff. However, I got a quote for it installed and because of the increase in the actual price of the diff the install price has come to about $2000. I simply cannot justify this price for the way I drive. Sure, if I was trakcing my car and such the Quiafe would be the obvious choice. However, I'm not. I simply want the diff for fun purposes. I want to be able to put two black lines on the ground instead of having the back end squirm around trying to figure out what its going to do.

With that said, will the Kleemann fulfill my expectations?

So far, Ive yet to hear a bad review about it so if you have one or know of one please tell me.

Any other inputs would be highly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"You pays your money, you takes your chances."

"You wanna play, you gotta pay."

Trite phrases, but they are very true when it comes to this sort of thing. You would be better off spending proper money for a proper LSD as opposed to the band aid type solution. Phantom Grip type units should only be used when there is no other option, IMO. In my Saab Turbo tuning days, basically the only option was for a Phantom Grip, so that's what people gravitated to. But what everyone wanted was a Quaife....
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Saaboteur
"You pays your money, you takes your chances."

"You wanna play, you gotta pay."

Trite phrases, but they are very true when it comes to this sort of thing. You would be better off spending proper money for a proper LSD as opposed to the band aid type solution. Phantom Grip type units should only be used when there is no other option, IMO. In my Saab Turbo tuning days, basically the only option was for a Phantom Grip, so that's what people gravitated to. But what everyone wanted was a Quaife....
While I do appreciate your advice greatly, I've measured both the pros and cons well so far and for my use I believe the Kleemann will surely suffice. As I stated, it is not the best diff out there. However, I do not need the best diff out there and for my sort of driving I would be hardpressed to be able to notice the difference. This car is not driven at the track or even hard for that matter besides the occasional straight line sprint for the hell of it. If there is any factual evidence such as someone stating, "I broke my Kleemann diff" or "This diff doesn't work" then I would be greatly appreciative. However, so far I haven't read that from and Kleemann diff review thus far. Again, not stating the Kleemann diff is better than the Quaife, but rather for myself, it would suffice.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
If you dont heavily track the car and just want something that allows you to put down the power a bit better i dont see what is wrong by going with kleemann.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a Phantom Grip type unit in my Saab a long while back. It was inconsistent in its functioning. I must emphasize that it wasn't a Phantom Grip, but it functioned in a similar manner. At the time, if I had the funds and if it was available then, I would have gone with a Quaife definitely.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Frank, these are my thoughts exactly.

Saaboteur, so but inconsistant you mean it would lock and unlock ramdomly?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 AM
ASP

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 Freightliner "daily driver"
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Okay guys, the Quaife may be slightly better for tracking and an overall better diff. However, I got a quote for it installed and because of the increase in the actual price of the diff the install price has come to about $2000. I simply cannot justify this price for the way I drive. Sure, if I was trakcing my car and such the Quiafe would be the obvious choice. However, I'm not. I simply want the diff for fun purposes. I want to be able to put two black lines on the ground instead of having the back end squirm around trying to figure out what its going to do.

With that said, will the Kleemann fulfill my expectations?

So far, Ive yet to hear a bad review about it so if you have one or know of one please tell me.

Any other inputs would be highly appreciated.
Well we'll know tomorrow, Kleeman supposedly stopped making the c32 diff parts required for their upgrade. But IMO I have honestly tested both units (quiafe and Kleeman) one installed in my personal car and one in my buddies. I installed both of them so I know the install was done to specs, both units do exactly what they promise with a few exceptions. With the Kleeman unit I felt significantly more wheel hop, also it felt way more aggressive in turns and actually sometimes inconsistent feeling as if the car had a locked diff. The two issues were never noticed by my friend and till this day he doesn't feel it even though when I gave him a ride in his own car he def felt it. With track experience I definitely pushed his car way beyond his driving skills/habits, so if you plan to drive your car hard or on the track then I would def recommend the quiafe unit otherwise both work great for a street driven vehicle. Hope this helps anyone considering purchasing either of the diff's
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
So it looks like the Kleeman is $1000 and the Quaife is $1500. If install is the same then there is a $500 price difference. I would do the Quaife.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kleemann LSD Vs. Quaife LSD