C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

c32 Torque converter probs ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C32 AMG
c32 Torque converter probs ?

I think i have a problem and wonder if anyone else has had the same. I have the usual 1500rpm jerk that i have got used to, however recently when cold the GB/torque converter keeps jumping on and off at constant low speed untill warm, feels as if its changing from 5 to 4 and back but i dont think its the gb changing. I think its the converter engaging and disengaging. more concerning that the usual jerk.

I changed the gb fluid 1 month ago and diff oil. car has 28000 miles, any ideas, would a gb ecu reset help if so how ?

many thanks in advance.

Bill
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 W203 C32 AMG / 1997 Toyota Corolla AE110
What GB oil u use
Check GB oil level
try replace the GB speed sensor unit is a good try and cheap
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Billy Albert
I think i have a problem and wonder if anyone else has had the same. I have the usual 1500rpm jerk that i have got used to, however recently when cold the GB/torque converter keeps jumping on and off at constant low speed untill warm, feels as if its changing from 5 to 4 and back but i dont think its the gb changing. I think its the converter engaging and disengaging. more concerning that the usual jerk.

I changed the gb fluid 1 month ago and diff oil. car has 28000 miles, any ideas, would a gb ecu reset help if so how ?

many thanks in advance.

Bill
Apparently one fix that helps a LOT BUT may not totally eliminate is to replace the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) on the car. Its a $40.00 (USD) part.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

many thanks in advance.

Bill
You have an '01 C32 (didn't even know that existed), with only 28,000 miles? Wow... that's low mileage.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 AM

C32

many thanks in advance.

Bill
I got the same problem before, I've found out the throttle angle sensor problem, the system didn't know you put on throttle or not.
So now, the car still got little jerk and I think it's no problem, the jerk follows me for 5 years already, no performance drop. But I've found 1 thing, try to put on gas slow to 1/4 throttle, then you can step it heavily you want. I think AMG put this in purpose to avoid GB damage in high power car, maintain a little bit slip on low rpm. I didn't find any jerk when I get used to drive it like that.

Last edited by djoa; 10-18-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
it is the supercharger turning on,, it you floor it and keep it floored it will not do it but if you leave from a red light and get to the other side of the street and all of a sudden the car jerks,, between 12 and 1600 rpm the S C cuts in if you have either upper or sc pulley it will be more Noticeable.
You can hit the "w" switch ,Which makes the car start out in second gear, that would reduce some of it but not all, just put it to the floor and enjoy it jim
Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by amx1397
it is the supercharger turning on,, it you floor it and keep it floored it will not do it but if you leave from a red light and get to the other side of the street and all of a sudden the car jerks,, between 12 and 1600 rpm the S C cuts in if you have either upper or sc pulley it will be more Noticeable.
You can hit the "w" switch ,Which makes the car start out in second gear, that would reduce some of it but not all, just put it to the floor and enjoy it jim
defo not but cheers
Old 11-04-2012, 05:39 PM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by djoa
I got the same problem before, I've found out the throttle angle sensor problem, the system didn't know you put on throttle or not.
So now, the car still got little jerk and I think it's no problem, the jerk follows me for 5 years already, no performance drop. But I've found 1 thing, try to put on gas slow to 1/4 throttle, then you can step it heavily you want. I think AMG put this in purpose to avoid GB damage in high power car, maintain a little bit slip on low rpm. I didn't find any jerk when I get used to drive it like that.
this jerk is defo not design feature , its harsh
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Tranny jerk is normal. It's the torque converter lock up. All high performance auto transmissions that take power have harsh locks. I don't know why people continue to think that this is a malfunction. It's a reality of a high performance automatic car.

In some cases, slip or very harsh jerks can be attributed to glycol contamination or lack of or too much fluid in the transmission. Check transmission oil levels and glycol test if you're really concerned.

BTW, it's definitely not the S/C kicking in. That works seemlessly, you don't even feel that. The jerk is felt during 1st-2nd gear changes at low revs (~2000RPM);.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 11-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Sorry it's not normal you are miss informed over there , mine is fixed no jerk whatsoever ever now the tcc solenoid was broken and now it works as it should