Colder Weather, Still Running Summer Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Colder Weather, Still Running Summer Tires

Hey Guys,

The weather has been starting to get colder where I am, around 40s, 50s. I am still running my Summer tires and noticing they aren't that good in colder temps. From a dead stop, they don't peel out, instead I just get lots of unpleasant wheel spin. At low speeds I feel like the tires are stiffer making a rougher ride compared to warmer days.

How much of a difference would I see if switching to all seasons?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I'm a great believer in proper tires for proper conditions. Unfortunately, I'm not 'bilingual' when it comes to temperatures, but 0*C is freezing. A Canadian Tire brochure came in the mail the other day and was stating that even all season tires can begin to lose their effectiveness at 7*C. Most certainly summer only tires will be out of their effective operating range closer to freezing. Where I live, I fear people driving in the winter with all seasons, and all of our winter driven vehicles are winter tire equipped. The winter tire compounds are designed to be sticky in the colder temperatures. A must have, IMO.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 C55, '14 Audi S4, '09 Range Rover Sport, '07 Lexus ES350,
Originally Posted by jlm32
Hey Guys,

The weather has been starting to get colder where I am, around 40s, 50s. I am still running my Summer tires and noticing they aren't that good in colder temps. From a dead stop, they don't peel out, instead I just get lots of unpleasant wheel spin. At low speeds I feel like the tires are stiffer making a rougher ride compared to warmer days.

How much of a difference would I see if switching to all seasons?
FWIW, I run my summer only tires all year round - and have since I bought my 6 years ago. That said, I "never" drive it in the snow (nor in the rain for that matter) - nor do I think I would even with dedicated winter tires. You need to be easy on the throttle coming off a dead stop and you can't drive aggressively in the turns. You just need to take it easy and you should be ok in the colder months - at least that has been my experience. I drive mine down to about freezing. At temp's below that, I drive another car.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM

2007 E350 4 Matic Silver/Ash and 2005 C55 Black/Black
On my C55 I leave my summer tires on all year round. I have done this for the past two years without any problems. With that said, I do not drive the C55 in the snow. On my C230 I normally put my winter tires and rims on in late November and keep them on until early March. This is the car I drive in the snow with the Dunlop SP3 winter tires all around. So far no problems with this set-up. The winter tires perform really well in snow.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
I have a set of good winter tires if you need em. Trying to get rid of these asap.
Let me know if you are interested.
https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...-tires-il.html
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
1. 80% of summer performance tire works better than ****ty all-season tires in rain.
2. If you dont have snow or freezing temp you dont need winter specific tires.