C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

tissk tissk air sound from power steering pump side of the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
Smile tissk tissk air sound from power steering pump side of the engine

the other day while in a parking garage I noticed a new noise, sounds like a little air leak, almost like when your puncture a tire and as it rolls you can hear the stssss, stssss,stssss.(if that makes sense). I've been reading the forums on power steering pump issues but mine is fine, a very small leak, enough to "wet" the area around the pump but not dripping and topping it off once a year maybe. After a 40 mile drive I pulled into the garage and could hear the air noise and a lite squealing, I grabbed a can of lubricant and while motor was still running sprayed small squirts at each pulley, the squealing went away at power steering area, this evening I turned motor back on and could hear the small air leak sound it is directly related to the rate the engine turns over, at about 2k rpm it almost sounds like a steady hiss, a very lite steady hiss, the sound of the motor outweighs the sound of the "air leak". I'm not sure if their are any hoses around the pump area, or if maybe the serpentine belt is wearing, there is no play in the pulleys. Any hints would be appreciated, until then I'll turn the radio a little louder.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
exploding power steering pump, finally figured out what that noise was.

Today while driving into town, the low voltage light came on and felt like I picked up a tail wind or a couple of horsepower. My first attempt at a right turn in an intersection and I knew what had happened. This morning I removed the serpentine belt, turned all the pulleys, checked for play, loose bolts etc, reinstalled belt, rubber tube to ear, listening, could hear a light tapping in the ps pump, an hour later, bamm. Lucky it happened close to home, and I can't tell if anything else was damaged, pulley was laying at the bottom of the engine bay, belt was shredded, but radiator, fan and all looks good, no leaks. So now I need a ps pump asap as I'm trying to get home for christmas. uggghhh
Attached Thumbnails tissk tissk air sound from power steering pump side of the engine-img_20121215_161531.jpg   tissk tissk air sound from power steering pump side of the engine-img_20121215_161541.jpg   tissk tissk air sound from power steering pump side of the engine-img_20121215_161637.jpg