Do you use speed shift??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c32
Do you use speed shift??

For everyday driving do u use the speed shift? Im not talking about flying off the line, but when u are just driving your car do u ever use the speed shift, and if so how often would u say u use it?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:41 AM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
I would say 45%/55%! In slow traffic, the car sometimes hesitates to go down one shift and wants to go "the lazy way", so I just make him work!

JMC
Old 08-04-2003, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
When not taking off from the line, i find myself using it mostly to downshift when changing lanes, or if i have to do a quick move for whatever reason, etc...I just love that quick burst!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:42 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
Old 08-04-2003, 01:53 PM

E55, C32, ML320
I have a love/hate relationship with SpeedShift.

I love:
- the smooth shifting in "D" when cruising around town with light throttle

- the lightning fast shifts (also in "D") right at redline when you're running with someone (like the Porsche 911 Carrera owner the other day who now seems to have a better idea of what AMG stands for)

- the ability to upshift while in "D" by nudging the gearshift right. I would love a mode/feature where you could do the same to downshift. Like the relative upshift ability above, while in "D," tapping the gearshift left would drop down one gear relative to whatever gear you happen to be in. I would use the SpeedShift all the time with a feature like that.

I hate:
- the lack of control at times - the relative upshift feature above is often delayed until the computer is good and ready

- unecessary kickdown or even worse the double kickdown in "D." Sometimes you just want to wind out a gear. If I give anything more than 1/3 throttle the tranny kicks down at least a gear. On more than 2/3 throttle it often kicks down 2 gears bringing the engine close to redline for a fraction of a second before upshifting up a gear. I can't help but feel that it's not so good for the drivetrain.

- the 1500 rpm jerk which I get on occasion. Need to make an appt for that, although I've heard that some folks don't like the new software.

Just my .03

Last edited by blando; 08-04-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

MB C32 AMG
I love my speedshift. My daughter calls it the trigger. The use of it is a must in order to go really fast. It disconnects the torque converter in gears 2nd-5th.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c32
for those who have responded i thank u....for u others...come on mutts take the 20 seconds to make a reply.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:05 PM

C32AMG
The single downshift will happen every time with a gentle nudge to the left on the shifter handle.I can go from 5th all the way back to 1st gear,one downshift at a time.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

currently c240
i use it only on a rush to get home and racing.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
ALWAYS, If you use it alot it is weird going back to Auto.
Auto is good for traffic.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:16 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally posted by Steve Clark
The single downshift will happen every time with a gentle nudge to the left on the shifter handle.I can go from 5th all the way back to 1st gear,one downshift at a time.
When you are in "D" the upshift works differently than the downshift. Tapping the gearshift right, upshifts to the next higher gear relative to the gear you are in. Tapping the gearshift left only executes an actual downshift if you are currently in 5th gear. Otherwise you must continue to tap left until you move to a gear lower than the car is actually in.

An alternative is to hold the gearshift left and the car will select the lowest possible gear - not exactly the best situation as you may find yourself in first gear at 6,000 rpm for a half second before the car upshifts to second.

That is why I would love to see a relative shifting mode for "D" that works similar to how the upshift operates in that setting.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c32
Keep them comming gentleman.

If u just dont use it feel free to just say " I dont use it". But please post. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I mostly use it to slow down in traffic or to merge onto the freeway coming up behind some slow moving vehicle.

And I usually up shift by tapping the lever to the right myself instead of waiting for the computer to shift under normal load. Helps me save some gas.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:09 AM
rrf

Every drive, I use speedshift at some time or another. I always use it whenever the selected gear is important: racing, passing, cornering aggressively. Like FrankW I often use downshift to slow a bit on the freeway.

It is the best automatic tranny I have ever driven.

Basically I wouldn't want to race without using speedshift, it is not always a "given" that the car will be in the best gear in "D". And since the tach and the gear display really really suck, I even turn down the radio so I can hear the motor to judge the correct gear. Like someone said, "holding left" will sometimes select too low a gear every once in a while (especially when going slow). So I usually bump my own when I care about the correct gear.

BTW these 32's don't lose many races when they start from a gear that is useful The rip from first to second is when the car usually jumps the poor fellow. If that doesn't do it then 2-3 will.
If you need 4th gear to wrestle the guy..... well then you aren't racing against a truck are you?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 AMG
I use it all the time. I use it to downshift when approaching traffic or highway ramps or lights. I use it to pass, quick burst of acceleration. I also use it to hold gears, like 2 or 3, when I want to maintain the ability for quick acceleration without having to brake every time the car in front of me taps his brakes. But mostly I use it all the time because it's more fun.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Hey guys I am sorry for being ignorant but I just do not understand the speed shift thing . In one post it says there is no speed shift feature you can enable and in another post it talks of how and when everyone uses it. Have read Franks and others explanations and I am still lost, sorry. I think it may just be me because it looks like others understand.

So if I am racing from a roll let’s say 60 MPH and I have it in 3rd gear. When I go to put it into 3rd do I just hold the shifter to the left for 2 sec’s longer than just taping it over? Will this keep me in 3rd but tell the engine to put the tranny in peak performance.

I made a post stating I will be running a bolt on stang with 4:10’s. Someone said make sure you use the speed shift when you race. I want to make sure when I do this run I represent the C32 in the best display I can. If speed shifting helps I need to learn how to do it.

No when I use the tip feature when doing a quick run I usually just tip it to a gear that bring me in the 3,500-3,800 RPM range. Then I run it to almost redline and tip to the next gear without ever removing my foot off the gas. Good idea or bad idea?

The run I will be doing will be from a rolling start say 40 or 50 and then from a dig. Now when I go from a dig I hold the brake bring the revs up to about 3k and nail it quick let off just a bit because if wheel spin and then right back into the gas which usually reduces the wheel spin for m.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
I use it with ESP off when I'm in the middle of the two way street taking a turn with high or medium traffic!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM

How do you enable it?

Originally Posted by kindafast
I use it with ESP off when I'm in the middle of the two way street taking a turn with high or medium traffic!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by bud4ya
How do you enable it?
You don't enable Speedshift. Speedshift is just the marketing name for the AMG-modified transmission programs.

I'm not sure if this thread was meant to be about M mode or the buttons on the steering wheel. Both of these are AMG Speedshift features. But "Speedshift" is not something you can choose to use or not.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
How do you enable it?
You don't really "enable it" SpeedShift if the trademark for the software AMG used to shorten the shift time and easier downshifts as needed. The name extends to the tiptronic style shifting we have on our autos. That is all. It is just "tiptronic" with AMG software. Use it as you see fit. Most testers found the fastest way 0-60 was just to leave the selector on D and go for it.

I use it all the time to slow the car entering a turn or manually downshifting to raise the rpm's for acceleration. Just a preferrence.

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by kindafast
O_o

ESP off while holding it in 1st to make a U-turn is *really* fun, yes, but sliding your rear-end into the side of a Kia? Not so much...

Is the transmission really built well enough to withstand a regular number of manual downshifts using Speedshift? Lord knows it's much more fun, but I'd rather not have my car out of commission for a week or four just b/c I wanted to feel like I was driving stick for a week

Maybe it's just me (or the performance oriented tranny), but it almost feels a bit painful to manually bang into 3k-4k RPMs of a lower gear, almost like the upshift on an auto with a performance shift-kit on it (where it really kicks you). I guess that since technically, the quicker the shift, the less friction/heat, the less wear on the clutch packs and/or gear teeth, etc... but if it's too hard of a shift too often, can't that cause issues?
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by whoover
You don't enable Speedshift. Speedshift is just the marketing name for the AMG-modified transmission programs.

I'm not sure if this thread was meant to be about M mode or the buttons on the steering wheel. Both of these are AMG Speedshift features. But "Speedshift" is not something you can choose to use or not.
Damn. You posted this as I was typing!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by blando
- the lightning fast shifts (also in "D") right at redline when you're running with someone (like the Porsche 911 Carrera owner the other day who now seems to have a better idea of what AMG stands for)
Old 09-05-2008, 01:24 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Hey guys I am sorry for being ignorant but I just do not understand the speed shift thing . In one post it says there is no speed shift feature you can enable and in another post it talks of how and when everyone uses it. Have read Franks and others explanations and I am still lost, sorry. I think it may just be me because it looks like others understand.

Yes there is a speed shift feature, some people say there is not one but just read your manual cause it says there is, and I can def tell a difference between holding the shifter to the left for the best gear and when its in D.

So if I am racing from a roll let’s say 60 MPH and I have it in 3rd gear. When I go to put it into 3rd do I just hold the shifter to the left for 2 sec’s longer than just taping it over? Will this keep me in 3rd but tell the engine to put the tranny in peak performance.

Yes kind of. If your going say 60 MPH you can just flick the lever a couple times but you might not know which gear is the best for you so just holding it will put you into speed shift mode where its supposed to go into the best gear.

I made a post stating I will be running a bolt on stang with 4:10’s. Someone said make sure you use the speed shift when you race. I want to make sure when I do this run I represent the C32 in the best display I can. If speed shifting helps I need to learn how to do it.

Just hold the lever to the left for a couple secdonds and that should put you into the best gear, if you want to drop it lower than that then just hold it for a couple seconds then tap it once if you want that lower gear.

No when I use the tip feature when doing a quick run I usually just tip it to a gear that bring me in the 3,500-3,800 RPM range. Then I run it to almost redline and tip to the next gear without ever removing my foot off the gas. Good idea or bad idea?

The run I will be doing will be from a rolling start say 40 or 50 and then from a dig. Now when I go from a dig I hold the brake bring the revs up to about 3k and nail it quick let off just a bit because if wheel spin and then right back into the gas which usually reduces the wheel spin for m.

I would say not to rev it to 3K RPM because (maybe someone else can chime in here) I think its something with the computer where it will think you are braking and will not be as fast as a response when you let go of that brake and hit the gas Plus when you let off the gas I would think you would be losing time/power...I would say either 1) Just hold the brake then smash the gas right when your ready to take off and just hold it down. Or 2) hold the brake and rev to about 1500-1700 RPM (not full throttle) the when your ready to go let go of the brake and step on the gas some more while you feather the throttle while taking off (so you dont spin the tires too much, and only for a second) and put the throttle all the way down once you get your traction back.
Thanks
Just do some practice runs to find out which way works best for you.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 PM

So all speed shift is, is just me using the tip feature. Like when I slow down rather than hitting the brakes I just keep tapping it down through the gears and let the engine slows me down rather than the brakes. Same thing when accelarating away I tip from first up through 5th. Speed shift is just me manually putting the car through the gears rather than leaving it in D. I think I got it now. Feel a bit embarrased it was so easy.

I could see from a dig probally leaving it in D would shift faster than me doing it. From a roll I can see where using the TIP feature allows me to decide what RPM I want to be sitting at just before I go WOT

Wants this about holding the tip lever left for 2 sec's when it is in an given gear. Is this just a story

Thanks all. I will post after I run the bolt on stang with 4:10's

Originally Posted by ScottW911
Damn. You posted this as I was typing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you use speed shift??