C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Still have squealing, running out of ideas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 amg, 2007 srx (wife), 1995 tahoe (guinea pig)
Still have squealing, running out of ideas

This weekend I replaced the s/c bearing with a brand new NSK one. I also replaced the top grooved idler pulley next to it because I dropped the old one while cleaning it and cracked the face. About a month ago I replaced the tensioner pulley.

When I fired it up this morning it sounded great. however, tonight I took it for a test drive and about halfway through the squealing returned.

I haven't changed the lower idler pulley, although I did remove it to clean it. Also, the bracket that holds the top pulley isn't secured at the top because a bolt is sheared off in the hole.

Suggestions?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Ok, now this is getting weird.

This afternoon I decided to have a little fun on my drive home, so I disabled the ESP. I've been having another issue with the car being very sluggish below 2k rpms and I wanted to see if the ESP was the cause. I had traveled a majority of my route and was sitting at a light when I suddenly noticed that it was quiet. No squealing. I turned the music off for the rest of my drive. Except for a few chirps here and there, it was quiet.

Since I changed the bearing Saturday, I had been having constant squealing from idle to 40mph or so. Does the s/c bearing need to break in?

I'll definitely continue monitoring it this week to see if it was a one-time thing or if it's truly fixed now.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Additional data points. It's not related to ESP being on/off (which I figured but tested anyway). It still squeals whether the engine is cold or hot. I've heard it at idle, 40mph, and higher.

The squealing has picked back up and is now almost constant again.

Two more observations.

1) I noticed the belt vibrating like a guitar string between the alternator & upper idler pulley. Maybe it's too tight or loose.

2) I also saw the oil cooler housing had a leak. I couldn't detect whether it was dripping on the belt or not. I've ordered the gasket kit to rule that out.

I looked back through my dealer records and saw a notation about the squealing. According to them, it was coming from an "aftermarket u/d pulley". I have Renntech pulleys - 2 that I know of. Is the water pulley u/d? Is there another Renntech pulley on the car and I'm just not aware of it?