C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How to tell if vehicle needs to be "coded" after iPod integration kit install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
How to tell if vehicle needs to be "coded" after iPod integration kit install?

Car is a 2005 C55 AMG with in-dash navigation, 6-disc changer and aux-in jack in glove box. I have purchased a B67824558 iPod integration kit (the kind that fully integrates with a dock connector, not just the aux jack in the glove box).

I am planning to install this on my own -- not my first car stereo install -- but happened to ask the seller if it includes instructions. He said they are not included, he recommends dealer installation because "some vehicles need to be coded to recognize the kit". I was under the impression from some previous research that this should be a plug-and-play installation, but I'm not seeing anything in the forums here for a step-by-step DIY on this particular install (there's a similar one for a different model MB).

How can I tell if my car needs any programming to accept the integration kit? (If it's a matter of software and this is at all relevant, I'm running a 2011 NAV DVD...) Anything else I need to know, or any existing DIYs for this?

Any help would be super-appreciated.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
it shouldnt need to be coded...
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
I think only the instrument cluster has to be coded
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I think they all need to be version coded as well. Keep in mind you lose AUX if you do, annoying if friends want to hook up their phones and the display is in the cluster and looks like crap. I am not really fond of the ipod integration in our cars.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 03-20-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I don't remember having to code my car when I installed the kit.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by 91RS
I don't remember having to code my car when I installed the kit.

If you installed the kit by yourself I am sure you didn't code it since it would require ad Star Diagnosis computer. In that case maybe you don't need to code it. Either way it shouldn't cost too much maybe an hour around $150.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2000 C280 Sport, 2010 GLK350 4Matic
I just installed an iPod kit last week and it has worked fine. No coding required. It basically replaces the AUX input so the HU already knows it's there. The only thing that sucks with the Alpine COMAND unit is that you can't control it through there. Even with maybe 10,000 songs on my iPod controlling it via the steering wheel controls and dash screen isn't bad at all. I think I've got it mastered.

Part# Mercedes Benz B6 782 42 52 for $150 on eBay.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
If you can see "Telephone" when you scroll through the screens then coding is not required. At least that was how it was when I added mine.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
lets make it simple...install it, if it works you dont need coding (which you won't need like I said in the first response), and if it doesn't you need to have it coded...I've installed them in both my 05 C230 and my 06 C55 and neither needed coding
Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM

C55 AMG
Thanks guys. I think that's probably the plan -- I'm going to install it, and if it works, great. If not, I'll spring for the coding.

Wish me luck on getting my engine and trans mounts replaced today!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM

C55 AMG
THE AFTERMATH

Ok, just for posterity I thought I would give an after action report. First, I'm going to flood some keywords here:

iPod integration kit install DIY instructions 2005 C55 AMG with pictures (courtesy of MikeSSw203) W203 remove navigation open disassemble center dashboard

So you want to install an iPod integration kit in a 2005 C55 AMG (W203)? I recommend you get a buddy, unless you're really, really comfortable with DIY projects on your car.

Ok so first you need to read through this, and keep the pictures handy:
http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/187-c-class-w203/28939-diy-apple-ipod-integration-kit-2005-2007-w203.html

This is definitely the place to start. The dash setup is very, very similar on the C55 (even with the NAV system, there's not much difference).

Lessons learned:
You will remove the aluminum trim around the shift knob and cup holder. Pull the shift knob bit (with the leather and chrome) out of that, and get that big hunk of plastic out of the way.

The upper vents: these are a pain. A third hand helps. Use two small flathead screwdrivers to pull the tabs of the individual vents (to the right on both vents, not towards each other) while gently rolling the vent upwards. It'll go a little farther up once the tabs are free, and you can get a torx driver underneath. The final tabs on top to get the vent panel out are easy, but look for them and gently work the panel out.

When unhooking the wiring harness from the stereo/nav unit (which is on the bottom of the nav, not the top as in the pictures), you will see a fuse inside the back of the nav. Don't touch it, it stays in there and the wiring harness block goes around it.

Be really, really careful with those fiber cables. If you pinch them, they will break and you will be unhappy (this is just a "duh", not a lesson I actually learned, thank god). Remember, the fiber cable unclips from the existing harness and goes into the block of the new one -- other than that leave the existing harness untouched.

There will be very, very little room behind your nav unit. Work slowly and be patient, everything will fit eventually.

When it comes to placing the black box and iPod dock hookup -- you really need to follow this guy's instructions here and route it to the passenger footwell. I originally tried to place the box behind the nav and run the dock cable into the glove box, removing the 6-disc changer. Don't try that, there is not enough room inside the dash for the black box.

If you have a 6-disc changer in your glove box that is fiber-connected, it's connected in a loop. This means that you cannot just pull the changer, or when you turn you stereo on, there will be no sound (you may be able to terminate the fiber for that, but I really don't know).

Once you've routed the harness connection to the blackbox down into the footwell, I just velcro'd the black box to the big white piece of styrofoam above the plastic panel in the passenger footwell. It's pretty easy to then run the black RJ45/dock cable up to the side of the glove box.

If you've already got the miniplug jack in your glove box, that's coming out unless you want to drill a new hole. If you don't, get out your drill. Actually, get your drill either way -- we decided to expand the hole a little bit so the grommet on the dock cable fit nicely in there.

My kit didn't come with a fancy little iPod tray, but I'm not losing sleep over that.

Be patient with those cable connections. I would also suggest doing a function check once everything's connected and before you start putting the car back together.

As far as "coding" the car, I have no idea if any C55 would need that, unfortunately. I am thinking it's possible that this is no necessary if you already have the AUX IN jack installed in the glove box, as you will run your iPod in AUX mode. (BTW, unfortunately the metadata doesn't display on the nav screen, only the instrument cluster). If you do not have an AUX mode option already, I don't know if coding is necessary or if the stereo just realizes it has a new input or not -- but you'll find out sooner or later. It's cheaper I'm sure to install it and then pay just to code, rather than pay for all of it.

Many thanks to MBWorld user Saintz for the assist on this one.

Edit: while I'm at it, if it's ok I'd like to do a quick shout-out to eBay seller keenanmotors4311. Quick communication, and had a shipping confirmation email/tracking number within 15 minutes of placing the order. I've seen a couple other references to this seller in the forums, so I figured I would toss in my $0.02 about them, also.

Last edited by cpbc55; 03-25-2013 at 12:05 PM.