C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2005 C55 high-pressure power steering hose? Or, "How F'd Am I?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
2005 C55 high-pressure power steering hose? Or, "How F'd Am I?"

So on Friday I started getting typical "uh-oh" symptoms of power steering failure -- lots of noise, vibration in the wheel, stiffer feedback when turning. I checked the fluid level and it didn't even register on the dipstick. Fortunately, my brother (MBworld user Saintz) happened to have a can of OEM power steering fluid laying around. Topped it off and hoped that would be the end of it.

Yesterday afternoon it started again, so I checked the reservoir - not completely empty but the fluid was frothy and well below the MIN line on the dipstick. When I got home and parked I noticed that when the wheel was turned all the way, it was just spewing fluid all over the place.

So I dropped it off at the local third-party repair shop this morning... They tell me that the high-pressure line is "wearing out", MB part number 209-466-00-81. This is apparently a dealer-only part (and the local dealers don't have it). They're going to have to order it in, and it won't be here until Thursday, and it's about $500 total parts and labor.

Has anybody else run into this problem? Any idea how difficult it is to DIY replace this (assuming I can even find the part -- ebay and google turn up zilch)? On a scale from one to totally, how screwed am I? I am thinking at this point it's probably worth it to just suck it up and have them do it -- I can't drive without power steering, I don't want to damage the rack, and I'm running out of replacement fluid.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I've seen lines leak before, so it is possible. They usually leak where the hard line is crimped onto the rubber line. The part is fairly expensive ($200 at parts.com). I've never really looked at mine that well to see how it routes to tell you how difficult it would be to fit.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
had same problem, eventually replaced power steering pump(did it myself), new pump is around $380.