C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Brake pulse/vibration persists across brake/rotor/tire change - possible wall of text

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Brake pulse/vibration persists across brake/rotor/tire change - possible wall of text

A couple years ago I replaced the brakes and rotors and it went fine, but after a time I developed a pretty good squeal that started to kind of modulate at slow speeds eee----eeee----eeeee----eeeee. Shortly after that it started to pulse pretty hard when I hit the brakes at speed.

I called around and asked around and one person said something that sounded plausible when compared to my experience installing the new rotors and pads; maybe I didn't clean the hub behind the rotor well enough and so it wasn't perfectly flat against there.

Like most of you, this was a good excuse to get aftermarket rotors and pads. This time I cleaned and scrubbed the **** out of the hub under the rotors, I did brake bedding runs as recommended by a few people who had these pads where I did a lot of breaking at the threshold without ever letting the pads stop/lock on the rotor.

At this time I also got new tires, had them balanced of course, and had an alignment done.

Now I've bypassed the squeal and gone right to the vibration under braking - almost violent at high speeds.

So I'm going to do this again, but I wonder if there could be some suspension issues involved. I know my sway bushings are probably shot from the sounds I'm getting up there and I'm going to replace all that business too, but want to see if that would cause my brakes to do this or if I just suck at car maintenance.

Thank you!