Anyone had just the ESP problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Anyone had just the ESP problem??

my bro drove my car today because I took his 528. On the way home he said the display showed ESP error, and it caused the car won't shift and no matter how hard you step on the throttle it won't respond. I saw the 1 malfunction message on the display when he parked the car back in the garage and shut off the engine, but when I try to read what is says and turns the key, the message dissapeared.

Want to know if anyone had this problem before, and if the on board computer will remember the error code when I bring it to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:17 AM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next time call TelAid (or hit The Wrench) and they will run a live diagnostic on your car while the error is present.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:12 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
thanks, I'll do that next time or tell my bro to do that next time. Forgot the password for the tele-aid tho...lol
Old 09-05-2003, 10:58 AM
lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32
yup

Frank, I have not had the ESP "malfunction" code pop up, but there have been numerous posts on this on the other board. I also believe this symptom is creeping up into some new e55's.

I really question whether AMG is tuning the "software" as well as they do the "hardware"
Old 09-05-2003, 04:19 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lap, thanks for the info. I'll go search on the e55 forum to see if they have any idea what caused the problem.

I do not doubt that AMG did some work to the software, but it's just that they seems to be doing some crappy job these couple years. Cost cutting on the part of DiamlerChrysler really takes effect on everything they produce.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:58 PM

asdf
I have had the ESP/BAS light come on twice. First time, took it to the dealer and they upgraded the module software. Second time, they replaced the entire thing. That seemed to have fixed my problem. Like you, I was noticing a loss in power when I saw the malfunction. However, when you turn the car off, and restart, the malfunction dissapears. Don't worry though...the malfunction should still be logged. It just doesn't show up on the screen is all.

But go to your dealership and have them replace the entire ESP module. It's been a year and there have been no problems.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:07 PM

asdf
Oops. Just re-read your topic. I have had both ESP and BAS malfunctions. Not just ESP alone. May be something different. But it could never hurt to ask for replacements since it's still under warranty .
Old 09-05-2003, 05:23 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by eyuan23
Oops. Just re-read your topic. I have had both ESP and BAS malfunctions. Not just ESP alone. May be something different. But it could never hurt to ask for replacements since it's still under warranty .
LOL...

Ed, I had the esp/bas thing fixed long time ago. They changed the wiring harness and such. This time it's only the ESP, so I have no idea what's going on. Yesterday was the first time this problem happened. I'll bring it in first thing next monday, since it's friday afternoon already and HOI is usually jammed packed.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:12 PM

asdf
Originally posted by FrankW
LOL...

Ed, I had the esp/bas thing fixed long time ago. They changed the wiring harness and such. This time it's only the ESP, so I have no idea what's going on. Yesterday was the first time this problem happened. I'll bring it in first thing next monday, since it's friday afternoon already and HOI is usually jammed packed.
That's strange. I hope I don't run into the same problem.

BTW, my jerk finally fixed itself...sorta. 1 month after taking it in for replacement parts (thanks to Lou Zer), the jerk has SLOWLY dissapeared. It's weird to me how when I just got it back, nothing felt fixed. The jerk was still strong as before . But each week that passed, the jerk became less and less noticeable.

I have continued to test it out and try to make it happen but only happens on rare occasions now. And much weaker than before. Basically you won't notice it unless you are paying 100% attention to it.

I'm very happy that I finally solved this problem *knocks on wood*. The thing that baffles me is why it took so long after replacing parts to notice any difference . Should be instant. No complaints though. Just glad it's better.

And Frank, I'd take your ESP problem over the jerk anyday .
Old 09-05-2003, 06:18 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
really?

but with the ESP problem, there's no throttle response, and the transmission won't even shift. you sure you want that

maybe next time we really should test drive one another's car.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32
ESP Problems

I hope your ESP problems have been fixed. Check out my post

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...pagenumber=1t.

I returned two C32 with the same problem. I now drive a 2003 CLK55. No problems in 5,000 miles.