Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
When to replace serpentine belt?

Question 2 for the day since I'm working on the cars on my holiday weekend:

When do you guys change your serpentine belts? I was looking at mine (car has 120k mi, I don't know if it's ever been changed or not, I know it hasn't in the last 75k of my ownership), and honestly it looks great? Surprisingly really; no chaffing, no cracking, nothing, looks like it's been running for 5k mi.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
A belt is pretty cheap, and a fairly easy job - I replaced mine this past spring just because I didn't know when it had been done last, or done at all. Also did the idler pulley at the same time. I think I paid about C$40 locally for the belt, but I know they can be had cheaper online from joints like AutohausAZ or Rock Auto. At the time, I think my car was approaching 110,000 km, so still pretty 'young', considering its age.

No particular reason for either other than for peace of mind in knowing that those parts are basically fresh. The belt looked fine when it came off the car too, so I kept it as a spare. Obviously if there are any signs of wear like cracking on the ribs, I would replace immediately.

The idler pulley was fully functional as well, but the new pulley's bearing spun smoother obviously.

Yet despite the relatively low mileage, I'll probably be looking lower control arm bushings in a year or two, I can see them starting to crack. I know those were previously done already, but I understand its inherent to 203s for those to wear a bit quicker than other cars. Also, just to keep the car feeling as fresh as possible, I think I will also do engine mounts and maybe upper strut mounts too.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 09-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.