C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Front driver side suspension knock..control arms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Black C32
Front driver side suspension knock..control arms?

Hi all, been lurking here for years (4+) and have thus far been able to troubleshoot and fix any issues that has arisen on my vehicle myself (water pump, alternator, brakes, oil changes, etc). I've done some work with suspension, but its been a good 10 years, so thought I'd just ask some questions regarding my issue in hope someone would chime in.

For some time now I've been getting a clunking sound on the driver side front of my car. Started as a wobble when stopping which orginally seemed like warped rotors. I have since determined it is definately not rotors as the issue has gotten worse and now it clunks more heavily when stopping and a bit over bumps. If I stop slow the clunk is repeated until it and the car stops, but when I step quick it clunks once. I assume this is due to play somewhere due to some worn bushings.

I've done research on this and as of now my thought is to replace the upper and lower control arms. Would you agree? Anything else I should do while there?

Last if the control arms...my research indicates the job looks pretty straight forward (and I have all needed torque specs). it sounds like the lowers just bolt on and off, but with the upper arm I need to unbolt the struts for access (no need to unload the spring, right?). Beyond that it sounds like I just need to be sure there is load on the system (ramps) when I do final torquing. Sound right at a high level? Anything else to consider?

Thanks all. I'm at a point where I need to decide to keep or sell this car so just want to get this fixed soon but want to ensure it is done right while I am at it. Love the car, I have a feeling once this is resolved I'll decide to keep her...
Old 11-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32
I had a similar issue. I purchased sway bar bushing and links, and figured I would start there. It was the sway bar bushings, they were almost oval. Swapped them out, and the rides like a dream.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Originally Posted by precisionmike
I had a similar issue. I purchased sway bar bushing and links, and figured I would start there. It was the sway bar bushings, they were almost oval. Swapped them out, and the rides like a dream.

+1
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'09 ML 500 (550) Off road Package

Mine does that too, control arm bushes are worn as you can see in the pic it is loosing fluid through the small cracks. Got a quote by the dealers but thinking of doing it myself rather.