C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Fuel odor from engine driver side - not from my bad cat like thought...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Fuel odor from engine driver side - not from my bad cat like thought...

I'm still trying to figure out where the fuel odor is coming from in my C32. I had a rattling secondary cat on the driver side (i posted about that already, appreciate for the comments....) and thought the fuel smell was coming from the bad or clogged cat but i;ve since fixed that with a new cat and the fuel odor is still there.

The fuel smell is most noticeable on start up when the car is cold so today i opened the hood and started the car and you can tell the smell is very strong coming from the drivers side towards the back of the engine area.

I attached a pic of me pointing to the area where the smell is coming from.

Some other info - i had a leaking oil filter housing / seal which was replaced but is still slightly leaking so I dont know if that would be causing this. Also have a couple of codes including "P0451 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor / Switch" and another "P0123 Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor Circuit High Input". Not sure if either of these have something to do with this????

Anyone else experience this issue? I have reviewed a lot of fuel / gas odor posts but could not find anything similar to this situation.

Will take the car in to my indy guy to check but curious if anyone knows what parts of the fuel system are in the engine area on the driver side that could be a possible cause of this....?

thx a bunch
Attached Thumbnails Fuel odor from engine driver side - not from my bad cat like thought...-photo-1.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
UPDATED PIC - so after sniffing around for 15 minutes I found that the fuel odor is coming from some hose that runs behind the supercharger by the Y air intake hose ang goes towards the driver side and is in the back of the engine compartment. Attached pic - the area the fuel smell is strongest is just to the right of the supercharger (as you view the pic) by that Y intake hose and goes along the back behind the Y intake hose and starts to dissipate when you get towards the spark plug area by the side of the engine.... taking it to the shop tomorrow but anyone know what those other small hoses/lines are in the back of the engine area on driver side (not the Y intake hose or air filter box i know what those are) .... will update as i hear from dealer

Originally Posted by jvakos
I'm still trying to figure out where the fuel odor is coming from in my C32. I had a rattling secondary cat on the driver side (i posted about that already, appreciate for the comments....) and thought the fuel smell was coming from the bad or clogged cat but i;ve since fixed that with a new cat and the fuel odor is still there.

The fuel smell is most noticeable on start up when the car is cold so today i opened the hood and started the car and you can tell the smell is very strong coming from the drivers side towards the back of the engine area.

I attached a pic of me pointing to the area where the smell is coming from.

Some other info - i had a leaking oil filter housing / seal which was replaced but is still slightly leaking so I dont know if that would be causing this. Also have a couple of codes including "P0451 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor / Switch" and another "P0123 Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor Circuit High Input". Not sure if either of these have something to do with this????

Anyone else experience this issue? I have reviewed a lot of fuel / gas odor posts but could not find anything similar to this situation.

Will take the car in to my indy guy to check but curious if anyone knows what parts of the fuel system are in the engine area on the driver side that could be a possible cause of this....?

thx a bunch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by jvakos
UPDATED PIC - so after sniffing around for 15 minutes I found that the fuel odor is coming from some hose that runs behind the supercharger by the Y air intake hose ang goes towards the driver side and is in the back of the engine compartment. Attached pic - the area the fuel smell is strongest is just to the right of the supercharger (as you view the pic) by that Y intake hose and goes along the back behind the Y intake hose and starts to dissipate when you get towards the spark plug area by the side of the engine.... taking it to the shop tomorrow but anyone know what those other small hoses/lines are in the back of the engine area on driver side (not the Y intake hose or air filter box i know what those are) .... will update as i hear from dealer
After doing some research it seems that the Fuel Rail runs across back of the engine bay towards the top or just between the firewall and engine/supercharger....i am thinking that has to be leaking since the smell comes right from behind the supercharger and across the right side of the air box. I found this pic of a C32 engine bay and see the fuel rail and some other hoses, but not sure what those other hoses along the back of the firewall are??? I am gonna take it to the shop but couldnt do that last week.....
Attached Thumbnails Fuel odor from engine driver side - not from my bad cat like thought...-c32-amg-engine-bay.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 sl55, 2011 CTS coupe
Any news on this? I have the same problem, but really don't want to take the supercharger off.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
J - my issue with the fuel smell was fixed by replacing the leaking fuel pressure dampner and injector o-rings. they had to remove the fuel rail that runs along side the back of the engine bay to do the repairs. it was about 1 hour of labor and some parts totaling $250 or so. The guys at Speedriven in Palatine IL are awesome and figured this out in 2 minutes even though i had already taken the car to 2 dealers in Chicagoland area who couldnt figure out the problem.

hope that helps your situation.