C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pros and cons from moving from C 55 to E 55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'09 ML 500 (550) Off road Package
Pros and cons from moving from C 55 to E 55?

Hi guys, would those of you who have made this move or have driven both please share your thoughts on the differences and feel from a move like this. I like the C's sporty shape but im no stranger to biggish cars either, I presume there is more luxury in the E and the fuel economy is probably worse. Is the ride softer than the C, and if so is it also firm, how is the ergonomics, the sound system, can it play mp3's, I hear the air shocks are expensive but do they last long though........things like that. Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
You should chat with forum member C_DirtyTwo. He went from a C32 to I believe an E55 or CLS55.

I do know that you can convert the W211 E55/63 (and the same generation of CLS) to coil springs from air. You grab an off the shelf coil over kit spec'd for the lesser models - say an E350 - plus use some of the control arms from the same car and away you go - but you do need to reprogram the car through Star diagnostics to eliminate the air suspension from its brain. It's all been done, you just need the right resources.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'09 ML 500 (550) Off road Package
Thanks Saaboteur but ive decided agaist the idea, I search the net and look at other cars then when I walk into the garage and see the C there I fall in love all over again and tell her that im sorry I looked at other cars on the Internet and I will never do it again its disrespectful. Lol
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Lol nice one shaun. I made the move as well from C32 to the CLS55. I certainly do miss the C32 for some things and prefer this one for other reasons. The biggest differences are, you can certainly feel it's a much bigger car, weight and handling. Fuel consumption is definitely worse. I had quite a few mods on the 32 so she was a rocket ship at the coast. Unfortunately I moved to highveld and hate the thought of loosing power so upgraded to the CLS55. Well to be honest power wise I think my 32 at the coast will drill this thing with it in Jhb. So I already started the power mods on the CLS55. however big problem is putting the power down from a dig. The tyres just light up and can't find traction lol... What I really like is the gadgets in the CLS55 it has way more toys to play with and that sound is just the bees knees. Long live the V8's.

Anyway won't go on to much as you have made up your mind already however I have a feeling you going to be cheating on your C, in the not to distant future again

Last edited by C32owner; 01-15-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
eclectic assortment of cars
I like the idea of an E55 or CLS55 - their current prices (at least locally) are anywhere from about 33-50% of a C63, but you have oodles more power potential. But then again, everything costs more with the bigger car, be it fuel to tires to spark plugs (twin spark!).

They will always remain as lovely reminders of the German horsepower wars of the mid 2000s though. Maybe one day I'll own one, but I have a hankering for a 997 before that... And I intend to keep my C55, so the only car that would be jealous is my S2000, which hopefully I can sell in the next few months.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 CLS 63, '91 E34 M5 Dinan Stroker
I have been playing with the idea too. I bought a C55 last January after giving up on finding a solid E55. Well, really, the major differences for me were finding a strong performing car that would be relatively easy to maintain at a reasonable cost. The C55 I found fits the bill very well. I got lucky finding a single owner car with all service records and a few normal wear nd tear items replaced.

Mind you, I STILL want an E55 and would consider a move for the right car. My fear is switching over and having more problems to sort out. That I don't want so I keep looking and enjoy the simplicity and performance I get from the C. Remember, it is faste than many cars on the road today. The E55 is just faster with a bit more style and presence!