C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Running Hotter after PLM Heat Exchanger instll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg
Running Hotter after PLM Heat Exchanger instll

the Temp gauge of my My 2002 C32 AMG is showing higher temperatures while driving around now that I have installed the PLM Heat exchanger. I installed it in February and now March is in the 40s. I am wondering if it would go much higher than normal in the summer months. I am wondering what is the culprit? Should I flush it again?
Andy T
Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
You might have some air trapped in the lines somewhere.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
+1. Burping the cooling system is in order. There are lots of videos on youtube. Is it separated cooling or OEM setup?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porsche 2004 911
[QUOTE=Lenin;5966407 Burping the cooling system is in order[/QUOTE]

Nice: i watched some vids,I didn't know about burping with a funnel etc, after cleared lines at what stage do u turn the taps for NW isolate kit during idle or at rest? Any tap first? Cheers Gramma n Lenin
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I turned the isolation taps after a few days of driving around. I cleared the air out of the lines straight away. I just wanted to make sure anything else had gotten itself out and was all running smoothly. I did it with the car off, either tap first.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
The C32 heat exchanger is self burping. This is confirmed with EC when I installed their HE. That is IF you left the stock lines intack.

Mine required about two days of adding coolant to the over fill tank before it was perfect at the track, aka road course.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Porsche 2004 911
Cheers, Will do, Thanking you for the advice tw2. Awaiting "rcompart's" intercooler as mine recently went south. Have put coilovers in and replaced all the front control arms etc. Quaife is on the shelf awaiting install but the IC went before I could finace the install. Its a love hate relationship with this 32. Any issues with the 55? A window regulator perhaps, windscreen wiper blade replacement?
Cheers,

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by macbryanie
Cheers, Will do, Thanking you for the advice tw2. Awaiting "rcompart's" intercooler as mine recently went south. Have put coilovers in and replaced all the front control arms etc. Quaife is on the shelf awaiting install but the IC went before I could finace the install. Its a love hate relationship with this 32. Any issues with the 55? A window regulator perhaps, windscreen wiper blade replacement?
Cheers,
Wow, coilovers will definitely transform the handling for the better! Quaife will hopefully get you a better launch also. What tires are you running? Some drag radials would be interesting with all your mods.

Well there was a service.... and I did need two front bushings replaced to get a warrant (annual mandatory fitness check of car) and they were tossing up on whether I needed a new wiper blade but they couldn't find one haha. So basically no, no problems.

I am still trying to decide whether to go into mods- it would be long tubes, port and polish, quaife, look into cams, intake, dyno tune and TCU tune + paddles and maybe some coilovers. Or whether I do a custom single turbo (very stupid idea) or wait until I can afford a C63 or SLK55 (best idea).
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 AM

Porsche 2004 911
Originally Posted by tw2
Wow, coilovers will definitely transform the handling for the better! Quaife will hopefully get you a better launch also. What tires are you running? Some drag radials would be interesting with all your mods.

Well there was a service.... and I did need two front bushings replaced to get a warrant (annual mandatory fitness check of car) and they were tossing up on whether I needed a new wiper blade but they couldn't find one haha. So basically no, no problems.

I am still trying to decide whether to go into mods- it would be long tubes, port and polish, quaife, look into cams, intake, dyno tune and TCU tune + paddles and maybe some coilovers. Or whether I do a custom single turbo (very stupid idea) or wait until I can afford a C63 or SLK55 (best idea).
Nitto invo's on front and nt01's on rear: hence the reason for front suspension revamp, coils and quaife....a month or two back I spun out in the wet and straight over a grassy island between a cement pole and tree to opposing road. Very lucky. Pride front,rear control arms damaged only.
Lesson learnt.
Slk55 is a beauty but the raw sound of the 63 under load is intoxicating.
It's good to hear the wipers are holding up mate. No excuse not too be juvenile and outlay some fun funds on long tubes and why not at it, a quaife would be ideal.

Last edited by macbryanie; 03-12-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by macbryanie
Nitto invo's on front and nt01's on rear: hence the reason for front suspension revamp, coils and quaife....a month or two back I spun out in the wet and straight over a grassy island between a cement pole and tree to opposing road. Very lucky. Pride front,rear control arms damaged only.
Lesson learnt.
Slk55 is a beauty but the raw sound of the 63 under load is intoxicating.
It's good to hear the wipers are holding up mate. No excuse not too be juvenile and outlay some fun funds on long tubes and why not at it, a quaife would be ideal.
Thats not too good, I can understand getting the suspension sorted out. Nothing compared to yours but I turned into a side road in 2nd and gave it slightly too much and the car changed into 1st at 5000rpm and I went sideways across the road, lesson learnt, always use manual mode when cornering hard.

Did you get the quaife from NZ in the end or US?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM

c32 amg
I did purchase the Spill Free Funnel and "Burped the Cooling System" twice with it, while tilting the front end of the car (passenger side higher than driver's side) and running the heater while burping the system". I also pedaled the gas a few times to ensure proper circulation. Still no change.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 AM

Porsche 2004 911

Sorry OP,
Quaife purhased from Rob at NW, I think it was cheaper or almost the same from NZ distributer but happy to support the fabricators that make our life all the more interesting

OP- have you contacted PLM? There is also a product called water wetter that may help..
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM

c32 amg
Problem solved. I had to take air out of the supercharger. I did this and temperature dropped about 5 to 7 degrees. I think this is as good as it gets.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:41 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by andy T
Problem solved. I had to take air out of the supercharger. I did this and temperature dropped about 5 to 7 degrees. I think this is as good as it gets.
Great, I remember just pinching the coolant return line and the reservoir bubbled for 30 seconds and that appeared to be about it. I never had any overheating problems with the stock heat exchanger but the PLM one was way heavier and had so much more volume it has to be better. Even just the increased amount of metal creates such a huge heat sink to keep the coolant temps lower while boosting.