Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
C55 stuck in 2nd Gear driving in M

This is a weird one:
I was about two blocks from my gym this evening after my ten minute or so ride- mostly driven in M- tooling around with a 335is. Spent around two minutes waiting at the light, then as I pulled away at the green I noticed the car was already in second gear... That was weird, but it was once I noticed that it wouldn't hit third gear -or drop back into first as I entered the parking lot- my panic set in.
I pulled into a spot and attempted to put it into C or S mode, it wouldn't leave 2M. Tried paddles and gear lever some more to attempt any movement. No dice.
I shifted into Park, which was no problem, then shut the engine off. I reset the transmission memory before I left the car. I spent about an hour or so then hopped back in the C55 with no issue on the drive back. Though I didn't want to try M mode- it was late and I felt like just getting home in one piece...

<this weekend, my neighbors' friend dragged her white Prius V across the C55s left rear wheel and quarter panel instead of just backing the **** out like any halfway decent driver could manage>

I digress.
Anyone else have an issue with M 'locking' in a gear?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 black on black aka DVS C55, 2007 C230 sport silver on black for the boss
Originally Posted by ghiaguy
Anyone else have an issue with M 'locking' in a gear?
Last week I was doing some testing in Dyno Mode and it locked into a 2nd gear and up pattern while in M mode. then it would only show 3rd but definitely felt like it wasn't locked into 3rd. Started acting erratic. Turned off Dyno Mode and it went back to normal.

Ever run around it in Dyno Mode?

How do you reset the trans? Were you referring to sneaky reset with the throttle?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've never put the car into dyno mode and am pretty sure the original owner wouldn't have. Yeah, just did that throttle reset- couldn't think of anything else to do that might help. Seemed fine on the drive in to work today, but again didn't risk M mode. Will try that on the way home.. Fingers crossed
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Odd. Did you try both the buttons and stick?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yep, I tried everything for a bit once I got the car into the parking spot. Then, when nothing worked, I shifted to Park (and noticed the M turn to S on the center info panel) and shut the car off. I've been only using S since, will try M this evening when I get off work since that's the only time I can afford a delay.