C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Advice on rim colour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32, c200k
Advice on rim colour

Hi all, the rims on my c32 are looking their age... Paint is failing in spots and some severe chips in the paint work and all but killing the look on my new paint job.

I've sanded back all the damaged paint luckily there is no curb damage I need to fill making this pretty simple.

I'm up to choosing a paint color. The car is brilliant silver 744 I think the code is. In thinking of going either another bright silver color or a gunmetal type grey ... Maybe the tektit gray 743 or the graphite 041.

Which would suit a silver car better? I'm planning on going a black roof, dark tints and smoking out the headlamps/taillights and indicator to give a darker edge to the otherwise bright silver Benz.

Before anyone asks ... I don't want aftermarket rims ... I don't want to ruin the ride by going bigger and I haven't found anything I like over the stock AMG rims. Thanks all

Last edited by crembz; 08-25-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM

c32, c200k
And if I go a gunmetal grey I'll probably try to pull off a polished lip on the stock c32 rims
Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203
Originally Posted by crembz
Hi all, the rims on my c32 are looking their age... Paint is failing in spots and some severe chips in the paint work and all but killing the look on my new paint job.

I've sanded back all the damaged paint luckily there is no curb damage I need to fill making this pretty simple.

I'm up to choosing a paint color. The car is brilliant silver 744 I think the code is. In thinking of going either another bright silver color or a gunmetal type grey ... Maybe the tektit gray 743 or the graphite 041.

Which would suit a silver car better? I'm planning on going a black roof, dark tints and smoking out the headlamps/taillights and indicator to give a darker edge to the otherwise bright silver Benz.

Before anyone asks ... I don't want aftermarket rims ... I don't want to ruin the ride by going bigger and I haven't found anything I like over the stock AMG rims. Thanks all

OEM colour for our w203 rims is "Sterling Silver" (according to AMG Germany). I was also considering between refurbishing or replacing with OEM rims, and also want to retain the OEM look - style from factory.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM

c32, c200k
Thanks mate... Do you happen to have a color code for that? From all my searching it looks like MB never released that color code.

Have you decided on color? Did you refurb or go new? I wouldn't mind a set of c63 rims... But won't fit without spacers which are classed as unroadworthy in au.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203
Have you decided on color? Did you refurb or go new? I wouldn't mind a set of c63 rims... But won't fit without spacers which are classed as unroadworthy in au.[/QUOTE]

I ended up getting new ones as I had a small hairline crack in two of my wheels. I am in the engineering field and I do a lot of R&D for the automotive sector therefore repairing it by welding was not a option for me. If you have only curb damage I would assume it would be ok-ish to repair but please insure you don't take off a lot of the substrate material. I know a lot of guys has welded there rims with no problems but I have seen horror images of welded rims.

PS, if you straggle to get rims from your dealer, speak to AMG direct. They can organize a set for you.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 AM

c32, c200k
Problem is the cost of rims in Australia. A used set of c63 rims can speak above $4000. Hell I priced up some mandrus 18" rims and tyres... $3200!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM

c32, c200k
OK so just in case anyone tries to strip an OEM c32 wheel ... Be warned. They are powder coated beneath the 2pak finish .... Argh ... This stuff is bullet proof. Paint stripper, thinners, acetone, sand paper, heat gun, wire brush... The stuff just sticks!

Lol looks like I'll need to pay for acid stripping & sandblasting.