C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Buying a High Mileage C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c55 amg soon
Buying a High Mileage C55

So I have decided to venture into the world of amg. My parents used to own a 2004 c240 when I was a kid and that car had terrible interior build quality before it got totalled by my mom (texting and driving). Is the amg like this or is it better? Their are a few cars around me with a fair amount of miles on them ranging from 60k-150k. Should I shy away from the ones with higher miles or should I consider them as well? Also, what are some common issues all around with the car? If I were to try and put a new head unit into the car like a pioneer would it work out? Is conservative driving good enough for 20 mpg?How reliable are your cars and what are some the things to look for in the car? I am going to take it for a ppi regardless. If I were to want to buy any exterior mods like cf lip or diffuser where would I go? Lastly, where can we go to find oem amg parts like parts for the brakes? And can I take the car to a mercedes dealership after I buy the car to see what I need to do to make it last another 100,000 miles.Are they impossible to find or does mercedes still make them? Thanks in advance for helping out!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:57 PM

none... for now
That is a lot of questions...

and the internet has most of your answers. But to start, there are 2 threads similar to yours on the 2nd page of the C32/55 forum.

Edit: I guess I should at least chime im with my opinion as a potential owner as well. I'm considering them because they fit my bill and I'm a K.I.S.S. kinda guy. Even for a Euro machine, the most complicated aspect of the car is the stability control/pseudo-lsd. Beyond that, it's got a plain Jane suspension, and is the lightest weight sedan with a still-respectable HP V8 as far as I know.

Last edited by ///AchMeinGott; 01-20-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Today's youth has no clue what research even means nowadays. I guess they don't teach these skills in school anymore.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 AM

none... for now
26 years old right here and as far as a non-owner goes, I can say I know what there is to know inside and out. Not even college edumacated(although I am going to auto tech school when my wife is done her courses in roughly a year).

Then again, I knew my first post on here was going to be "GTO or C55" and I knew I had to be able to clearly explain the logic behind the comparison, as most of the responses were obviously going to be biased(and bewildered).
Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Heres a couple of answers. Changing head unit is not easy. I think all of the US cars have BOSE which makes it even harder. The fibre optic system is not the easiest to get around. As for 20mpg, I wouldn't get an AMG if you care about the cost of tires or gas. There is nothing specific to look for in purchasing one of these, they are very reliable compared with other performance cars. A PPI should pick anything up, just look for meticulous maintenance records.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Lol @ Viper. I think he was trying to say most if not all of those questions can be answered by STFF. But since I'm a nice guy, I'll tell you that I made a long post in here somewhere about most things that are common problems and common maintenance. Also, if you're interested about how much many things cost, check out my reliability thread. I feel like I've done just about everything to this thing.