C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Service recommendations for Northern VA, Washington DC metro?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Corvette Coupe
Service recommendations for Northern VA, Washington DC metro?

Any recommendations for a good dealer service department in the Northern Virginia / Washington DC metro area?

BACKGROUND

Middle of last month I bought my 2002 C32 from HBL at Tysons Corner as a Starmarked certified vehicle. After delivery, I disovered that the car had a number of minor issues, and further, during January, the fuel tank could no longer be filled to full capacity. Trying multiple pumps at multiple gas stations, the fuel tank, which previously worked fine, could now only be filled up to 7/8 capacity before the gas pumps automatically shut off.

So, on Monday January 12th I decided to bring my C32 in for service, to take care of the minor issues and the gas tank issue. Since I live in Alexandria, I made a service appointment at MB-Alexandria (used to be Alexandria branch of ASC) and they told me given the number items to address it would probably take 2 days to fix my car. I was fine with that and dropped off my car in exchange for a Ford Focus rental.

To cut to the point, MB-Alexandria determined that they needed to remove and exchange my fuel tank and a fuel sender (apparently attached as part of the fuel tank), so they go ahead and remove that part from my car. In the process of removal, they (presumably purposefully) cut a line or hose linking the fuel sender on the tank to something else on the car, thus making it impossible to reinstall my fuel tank.

Then, they attempted to install a new unit into my car. However, it was the wrong part -- apparently they need a C32 specific part, not a generic part for a C-class. As they didn't have one in stock, and as they couldn't put my tank back in because they sliced throught the line or hose (which comes with the proper part), I couldn't get the car back. They tried locating the part, and said it was found in California, but it would only be ground shipped to them due to the size.

So I now exchange my Ford Focus rental car for a M-class loaner.

Fast foward to 10 days after drop-off. I am told the fuel tank has arrived, but, despite having 10 days to do everything else I requested, they forgot to install one of my seat heaters (as part of the repair of the minor issues), so they think I will get the car on day 11 (January 22).

On day 11, early morning, I get the call that the "book time" for installing a gas tank is 7 hours and they think MB underestimates the time so I might not be able to get my car on day 11 after all. I call and ask that they try harder. At the end of the day, the service advisor calls me up and said they tried putting in the fuel tank, but it was -yet again- the wrong part. They said MB's warehouse in California shipped them the wrong fuel tank. Coincidentally, the proper fuel tank, I am now informed, is in Balitimore MD and should be here tomorrow, and if it gets in early enough, I *might* be able to get my car Friday (day 12). Of course, I think service isn't open on weekends, so if the car isn't ready tomorrow, the saga will continue to at least day 15.

A estimate 2-day repair will now take at least 12 days, and quite possibly 15+ days. All because some mechanic thought it would be ok to remove a key component of the vehicle in a manner which prevents it from being reinstalled, without first checking to see whether they had the right part.

MB and/or the dealership refuses to air-ship the fuel tank (they claim: its too big. Unlikely, air freignt can handle BIG items if you're willing to pay for it, I gather they were not willing).

The wrong part was shipped, yet the mechanic fails to realize that and begins trying to install the incorrect part. Somehow, the correct part, which one week ago could only be found on the oppossite coast of the continent, suddently appears in a neighboring city. Just WTF is going here?

Are AMGs that hard to service? Who should I go to next time? Who should I talk to about this awful experience? Where is the best place to publicize it?

From my research the fuel tank issue is a common one, yet its requires changing the fuel tank which has a 7.0 hour recommende service time? Just how much would this cost if it weren't covered by warranty?

quite annoyed, a C32 driver forced to operate a M-class.

Last edited by cschow; 01-22-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
ASC of Arlington (wilson blvd.) has really great techs. I recommend them I have never had any issues with them. No benz loaners though... Alexandria just opened up so they might not have the best service team yet. Euromotorcars in Bethesda is great too (benz loaners) okay service, they forget to do stuff sometimes too.

Good luck next time!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:52 AM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
Originally posted by bensitto
ASC of Arlington (wilson blvd.) has really great techs. I recommend them I have never had any issues with them. No benz loaners though... Alexandria just opened up so they might not have the best service team yet. Euromotorcars in Bethesda is great too (benz loaners) okay service, they forget to do stuff sometimes too.

Good luck next time!
ASC does have MB loaners (at least if you bought your car there). You just need to request one when you set up your appointment and it may delay how quickly you can get your car in their shop. Just ask for the first date available with a MB loaner.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice, is that ACS of Arlington or Alexandria or both?
They said they didn't have MB loaners in Arlington (wilson Blvd.) when I took my car in about 5 months ago. =( got stuck in a ford focus! they suck...
Old 01-26-2004, 02:00 PM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
I'm speaking of Arlington although I suspect Alexandria may have the same policy. Again, you have to reserve one in advance. Don't expect to walk up when you drop off your car and have a MB loaner available.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good to know... Thanks!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:19 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
MB-Alexandria does indeed have at least some C-class and some M-class loaner vehicles. As noted in my initial post, on day 5 they upgraded me from the Ford Focus to a M-class, specificlaly ML-320 (very basic, not even a CD-changer), but better than a Ford Focus!

I suspect if you make an appointment well in advance you could probably get a one of the C/M classes as your loaner, although I didn't ask them specifically what their policy was.

Incidentally I got my car back on day-12.