C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sometimes car doesn't crank when turning the key...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55
Sometimes car doesn't crank when turning the key...

Hi guys, wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction on this. I'll preface this by saying I believe I have my original battery...from 2006...so I'm probably due for a new one regardless and plan on picking one up from the dealer.

Sometimes when I go to start the car and I move the key to the crank position, nothing happens. Or sometimes it cranks for a millisecond and then stops as though the starter doesn't have enough happy juice. This has been going on for probably 9 months and only happens maybe 1 out of 5 times.

I usually just pull the key out and try again and 99% of the time it turns over just fine on the second attempt if not for sure on the third. Anybody ever have a similar issue?

I also occasionally get the steering wheel only moving part way to the preset position when I turn the key to the B position and for much of the summer my stereo screen would go blank but still work fine while driving.

Does this sound like odd electrical issues from a battery slowly exiting life?

I've used the on board voltage readout and it seems to be high enough so I don't think it's the regulator.

Thanks and happy new year!
Old 12-30-2015, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I also occasionally get the steering wheel only moving part way to the preset position
Mine too and the seat has never moved

I've used the on board voltage readout and it seems to be high enough so I don't think it's the regulator.
whats "high enough"?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Mine was doing that... random acts of not starting. THen one day nothing. Starter was bad for a long time and it finally died. It is a pain to replace and my first rebuilt that I got was bad so I had to replace it twice in the time span of 2 days. I had to take the passenger side exhaust manifold off and remove the passenger side motor mount.