2003 C32 AMG Wrecked - Rebuild Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
2003 C32 AMG Wrecked - Rebuild Help!

Hi guys,

I recently joined this forum looking for assistance. I am an owner of a 2003 C32 AMG. Basically I rear-ended a Jeep Wrangler. Luckily, the jeep was high enough and the benz was low enough to not hit the front bumper support. Jeep's rear bumper went in just above the bumper support on my benz. I will upload some pics as well. Everything in the front before the engine basically got damaged.

Since I have experience and a low budget, I decided to take on the rebuild project. I am here looking for help and to get my questions answered during the rebuild process.

I have removed the front bumper, radiator, condenser, and their reinforcement frame, right fender, some broken pumps and pipes.

I did find the alternator body broken, as well as the top part of the alternator mount. Part of the bracket where upper alternator mounting bolt goes was body part of the water pump and timing cover. Both timing cover and water pump bodies broke where the upper alternator mounting bolt screws on.

I did replace the water pump, however timing cover is risky business. So, I mounted the alternator as is. It is tightened fully and normally to the lower bracket, however on the upper side, it is only tightened to the new water pump body, because the timing cover body is missing.

Hope it makes sense. I can upload pictures to explain as well.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 C32 AMG Wrecked - Rebuild Help!-img_0296.jpg   2003 C32 AMG Wrecked - Rebuild Help!-img_0317.jpg  
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Personally I would tear it all down first and see what needs to be done before I would buy anything. Then get a list of parts and see if it is worth it. Have you checked for structural damage?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:11 PM

2003 C32 AMG
I agree. I have teared up the damage. I have estimated about $2000, cost of parts. I have done some measurements to see whether the bumper support has been pushed in. Structurally the car seems fine. The decision to repair it was really dependent upon the structure damage and engine running. Yesterday I was able to get the engine started for about 2 seconds.

I can fix the car. Possible concerns/issues I see arising are the accessory/smog/acc.water pumps and their piping. Figuring out what all the pumps and motors are there and what they connect to. I am going to have to buy them and their piping. I do also remember there is one connector on the harness that has broken off.

Last edited by muz.mohammad; 01-11-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
I did the same thing with my C55 but with a LR3.

less damage than you, just headlights (bi-Xenon) Bumpercover (got the very top of it) grill, radiator, condensor, Fan, Hood, and core support. I had a buddy of mine who owns a body shop estimate for me, because I was trying to keep it and he was giving me the parts at cost. he couldn't find any used or OEM 3rd party parts for it, only through MB. and his cost, plus labor for paint (had to pay his painter) was going to be $8500 his ROW estimate was close to $9500.

Sadly I let the Insurance Company total it out. Already miss it. I got a E55K to replace and it is fun but a much bigger and heavier car. I really realized how big it was when I had to put it in the garage. with the bumper where it normally was in the C55 the rear was hanging out of the garage by almost 2 ft.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 PM

2003 C32 AMG
C32 AMG wrecked rebuild help!!!

Hi guys,

So I have pretty mich rebuilt my benz. I, however, am left with a pipe that I cant not figure out the location for. Does anyone know and can possibly provide assistance. What does this pipe connect to? See attached image. I have connercted pioes for power steering cooler, radiator hoses, transmission fluid hoses to radiator, aux water pump hoses. I have yet to connect smog pump but I don't think this pipe belongs to it, as smog pump is air related. I have also connected A/C pipes to the condensor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
have you googled the part number?