C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Purchasing a Used C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 06:08 PM

Vomit-
I don't live in Philadelphia, just go to school there (thankfully). I never made a comment about starving kids in Africa, I simply stated that for the majority of the people in the world owning a Mercedes would be extremely special for them, even if it is a base model. Im no billionare, common sense should tell you that one. If I was would I be looking to purchase a USED C32? I think not.

Im looking forward to Vomit-lite...or whatever you will be referring to yourself as.
Old 02-27-2004 | 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Lowell's next car

Vomit-Lite means more substance and less acid (stomach or otherwise). Sometimes Vomit takes the humor and prodding to an extreme level of abstraction and tastelessness that others do not appreciate.

In all seriousness, Lowell, think of the new C230/used C32 decision this way: Can you ever imagine buying a used C32 and saying to yourself in two years: "I shoulda bought the C230?" The only way that you would be in this situation would be if you ended up with a real lemon of a C32. A lemon should be pretty easy to avoid by just conditioning any sale on a thorough check-out by MBZ and making sure that you buy a car with a clean CarFax and some warranty left (so that if problems are missed in the inspection, they don't end up costing you money). Assuming that you find a nice C32, you will never regret it.

On the other hand, it seems that you have a high probability of regret if you buy the new C230, and spend the following years wondering what the C32 would have been like. The "new car high" will wear off within a couple of months (or sooner if someone door-dings you)! Also, the new C230 is going to take a nosedive in value over the next couple of years, whether you drive it alot or not, whereas a 2002 C32 has already taken the hit, and will only depriciate further in proportion to additional mileage.

If it were me, I would look for a local car and try to avoid the eBay or other online auctions (there are good cars on eBay, but eBay is also where a disproportionate number of problem cars end up). I picked my 2002 C32 up for $34,500 last month with 29K miles (it was a trade-in on a new Jaguar which ended up at a local Lincoln dealer). The car is not perfect, but close. You should be able to find something that will make you very happy in the low-to-mid 30K range. I wouldn't worry too much about options, other than maybe the Xenons and CD changer/Bose sound (unless you plan to replace the sound system anyways). It sounds like alot of people don't like their nav system.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2004 | 11:09 AM

Vomit-
Thanks for the response, you brought up some good points and Im glad you were finally serious about the issue. You stated your car isn't perfect, what problem areas have you encountered?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2004 | 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
C32 issues

I say "near perfect" because the car had (and still has) a paint chip and door ding in the passenger door. The underside of the front spoiler is also scuffed (it may come out with buffing, but I am not sure). As far as mechanical issues, the only ones have been electrical: the **** of my driver seat does not heat and the headrest for the passenger seat does not move up and down. Both are being repaired under warranty as we speak (I currently have a really fine 4 cylinder white Camry MBZSD loaner vehicle, complete with barf-brown "mouse fur velour" upholstery sitting in my driveway).

The engine and mechanics of my C32 seem immaculate.

One other point: It is my understanding that the AMGs are still built in Germany. The non-AMGs are built in the U.S.. I don't know about you, but I have alot more confidence in Klaus than in Bubba.

You NEED a C32!
Old 02-28-2004 | 10:42 PM
Banned

Re: C32 issues

Originally posted by Vomit
I don't know about you, but I have alot more confidence in Klaus than in Bubba.
Words of wisdom i like!
Old 02-28-2004 | 11:11 PM

SLK32
Not sure about what dealers are like where you are. But I am going to disagree with everyone on this board that says to get a starmark. I recently purchased an '03 SLK32, If I wanted to deal with ****ty assed attitudes, bad service and paying an extra 8 grand for an additional 1yr warranty I would have purchased from an MB dealership. When I purchased my used 430, I could have dealt with all the same but spent 12k-16k more. When purchasing from MB (at least in Atlanta) there is one saying to remember BOHICA (Bend Over Here It Comes Again).

I highly recommened a used 32 of any kind, let someone else take the hit for deperciation. My advice is to look for a fairly new one with low miles. This way you will ensure that any issues you encounter should be covered under warranty. Before you purchase run a CarFax and go to a MB dealership and get a repair history (you will need the VIN #).

Hell, if you can't swing a 32 you might be better off buying something like a Solara with the TRD Supercharger instead of the C230.

As far as the S54 cracking blocks the problem is over stated. First it is a bearing issue due most likely to oil starvation. The majority of the cars that have experienced this issue where built in a short time frame when BMW made a change. BMW has for the most part corrected the issue and has tacked on a 6yr 100mi warranty. Before you po po this engine go to a local autocross event and let me know what you see more of AMG's or S54'd BMW's.
Old 02-29-2004 | 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
I bought used.

For me a big consideration was how long I was gonna hold onto the car. I tend to want to change @ 2 -3 yrs or so....hence, buying a new c32 and selling in 2 yrs even with low mileage would be fiscal irresponsibility.

you have the security of the comprehensive 4 yr MB warranty should anything go wrong. If you get it starmarked then add 1 year and 40K miles.

Me, I'm itiching to go evosport stg 2. (i typically tweak all my cars). I suspect a lot of folks on this forum as well. buying a used car that has had the time ticking down on the warranty made sense to me as it got me 2 yrs closer to the point when i could consider modifying the car. (if I end up keeping it that long).

I 2nd the comments made before- with the beefed up engine internals and auto tranny it would be hard to damage the car i would think.

the M3, new S4, and G32 6 spd coupe were in also the running but decided on the c32 based on need for 4 dr and auto tranny.

I bought a 2002 c32, no options with 5K miles for a bit over $41K. (dealer was asking $46,500 but had incorrectly listed options that the car did not have !) I made them starmark the car as well. It was in perfect condition (per mercedes's definition of Starmark quality). Note re starmarking- I wanted that warranty should I resell in 2 yrs then I have that 1 yr/ up to 100K remainder which is incredible peace of mind for a new owner.

IMHO you should not consider the pedestrian C's. Bear in mind any new car becomes a used one pretty quickly I'd hunt down a low mileage C32. If you're going to hold onto the car for some time then I'd consider springing for the c55, I think it's that nice and it will probably be 4 yrs before a significant revision.
Old 02-29-2004 | 02:07 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
go to http://www.edmunds.com/ that side is really fear and gives you the option of see how much worth is a car with more detrail.
Old 03-01-2004 | 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nice-looking C32 on AutoTrader

There is a black C32 listed on Autotrader. com. Has 17K miles. Private party is asking $38.5K. It appears to be in Florida. Phone number listed is (407) 805-0098.
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:12 PM

Vomit-
Thanks for the info., Ill check it out.