C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 TeleAid Malfunction/Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GT-R
C32 TeleAid Malfunction/Window Tinting

I’ve read a lot of posts regarding TeleAid malfunctions, but has anyone ever been told that it could’ve been due their car having window tint on it?

About 3 weeks back, my C32 came up with another TeleAid malfunction, asking me to visit the TeleAid workshop again (2 weeks prior I had the same problem along with an SRS light which was fixed with a module swap taking about 3 days.)

After about 5 days of MB swapping out modules in the TeleAid chain, MB was still not able to solve the problem, so they decided that it must be due to the window tinting on the back window. I was told that by having my windows tinted that I voided my warranty, and therefore would have to pay $631 for a new window, and possibly another $125/hr. labor for installation. Keep in mind that when I bought the C32, new, part of deal was tinting the windows along with the installation of the new grill, replacement of the hood ornament, and installation of the chrome rings around the headlights. So, I was slightly shocked when I was told window tinting voided my warranty when MB was one that put it on before I accepted delivery of the car. My service advisor said that it’s possible when the tint was applied that some of the water they use to apply the tint got into the headliner and fried the electronics/wiring in the headliner which caused TeleAid to malfunction. This sounded preposterous, since I’ve had the car for nearly 5 months, and TeleAid has worked w/o a problem until a few weeks ago. After a long conversation with the service advisor, and even further conversation with the shop foreman, MB decided to “take a peek” under the headliner w/o removing the back window to see how things looked before doing anything else. A few days later, I got a call back saying everything looked o.k. and that the window/wiring under the headliner was fine, but they still don’t what the problem is, and don’t know when they’ll be able to fix it. Finally, into day 12, I get a call saying, “We found the problem . . . your car should be ready by the end of the day, but we need to verify. . .” On day 13, I picked up the car. The problem turned out to be a corroded pin in the wiring harness going to one of the TeleAid modules causing TeleAid to put up a malfunction in the MFD. Seems like this should have been found in Step 1 of their diagnose the problem procedure. Even first year electronics students would know to first check all their connectors before just swapping out parts. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with MB, I expect more. Even with all the problems that I’ve had with American cars, I’ve never had one in the shop for 13 days for anything, including times in the body shop when I was hit in a collision.

In case you are wondering, I live in Fort Worth, TX, and was working with Park Place Motorcars Mid-Cities in Bedford. Seeing how they will not be getting the opportunity to touch my car again, I was hoping someone might have a recommendation for another MB dealer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Also, I would like to thank those that posted procedures on how to shut TeleAid off. My next step was to have MB shut off TeleAid even though they were trying to tell me that TeleAid was an integral part of the emergency system of the car. So, like some of you that had TeleAid problems, MB was trying to give me the round around also.

On a side note, why would any car manufacturer not let you tint your windows? I live in Texas where summers are miserably hot, and I don’t know anyone that does not have their windows tinted. If MB does not want you to tint your windows, then they need to start offering smoked glass, or something else comparable as an option, or at least let you know that tinting windows voids their warranty before you buy the car.

Thanks for your help,
RLPIII
Old 03-01-2004, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Evil Window Tint

You'd better hope that your supercharger doesn't fail, as MBZ will probably try to attribute that to the tint too. I can hear the argument now: The dark windows caused the air conditioner compressor never to cycle on, which meant that the serpentine belt was sending more power to the supercharger, thereby overloading same. Hence, your verboten window tint caused der Kompressor kaput. Paint peeling on the exterior of your car: Der excessive sun reflection from der verboten window tint caused high concentration of u.v. rays on paint, destroying same.

I face this krap daily (ridiculous, nonsensical, self-serving posturing designed to avoid paying $). About the only way, as a modern consumer, to get any respect from big, bad corporate America (or Germany) is to sue or threaten to sue. Had MBZ not removed the cranium from the rectum, this would have been your next step. I'm sure that the crowd out there will love this one, but the fact that corporations are still pulling this stuff means that there must not be enough lawyers in the world.

It sounds like you got the problem resolved, finally. A semi-nasty letter to MBZ corporate might get you a 10% discount on MBZ accessories, or something of the sort (and a sickly sweet letter on fancy letterhead from them, telling you how much they love and respect you).
Old 03-01-2004, 12:29 PM

C32
A semi nasty letter should get you a nice E55 with window tints
Old 03-04-2004, 09:25 AM

2009 GT-R
Wrong Instrument Cluster

I thought that something seemed strange after I got my car back a few days ago, and finally I noticed. When MB was trying to figure out what was wrong with my car, one of the part swaps they did was to replace the instrument cluster. The only problem is that they replaced it with a standard C-Class cluster instead of the AMG cluster. So, it looks like I’ll be back up there to get that fixed now. After looking at the standard C-Class instrument cluster for 13 days in the loan car, it took me a while to realize that one should not be in my C32.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Tint's fault

The tint made it too dark inside of your car, causing MBZ to fail to realize that the cluster installed was the wrong one. I'm surprised that you noticed. You must have had a flashlight.

What a drag! It is definitely prime-time for a letter to MBZ corporate.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Almost a Member!

c32amg
When I had my windows tinted the shop that did it, warned me that the metallic tint MAY cause a problem with am reception only. I have had no problem since tinting.

slobote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
If you get your windows tinted by a professional, they lay down a cover on your rear deck before tinting it so the soapy water solution doesn't seep through the rear seems in the rear deck. The Soapy water solution can cause a malfunction if it gets to the electronics in the trunk.

Otherwise tinting your windows should not hurt your car. It actually makes it happier, blocking out those UV rays that could eventually fade and crack your leather.