C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Alternator failure anyone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 and 2007 335i
Angry Alternator failure anyone

Any one have to replace the alternator? Yesterday my c32 was towed away on a flatbed to the mb shop after I got the Battery/Alternator red message on the mfd screeen. Restarted the car twice and still had the message gave up after I smelled a bad smell coming from the alternator. Car has been pretty good before now except for this and a problem since new of a vibration that can be felt at 30-45mph when cold. After 4 service visits the dealer finally knows it not the tires. Since it is in the shop now I will see if they can find the problem, I have been living with for 33,000 miles. Any knowledge anyone has in either area would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 04-16-2004, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
As far as your alternator problem goes, you are in an elite crowd. Few if any people have had alternator problems with their 32.

As far as the "butt vibes" go, it sounds to me like you have a wheel that is out of balance or untrue. Remember: An oval wheel can be "balanced" on a machine at the tire shop, but it will still knock the living **** out of you when you put it on your car and hit speed.

The only question that I have is: "How did you tolerate an ***-vibrator for 32K miles???"
Old 04-17-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Vibration at that low speed sounds like tires. Also being cold sounds like tires.

Other things that can cause vibration: Driveshaft, U-joints, CV-joints, wheels.

Rear bearings and gear normally howl, The CV-joints usually are most noticeable at low speed tight cornering.

If you are driving at 35-40mph, cold and put it in neutral, does it still vibrate? In gear, on accel, off accel? light cruising?

You need to check specifically what the exact conditions are, when vibration occurs, to find the cause..

Try air pressue in tires of 30psi vs 45psi, is the vibration a lot different?

My first guess, would be defective, out of round tires.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 and 2007 335i
My first thought was tires also. I am on my first set of replacement tires s-03's. The wheels have been balanced at least 4 times by the dealer and the tire shop. So then I left the car jacked up overnight and put it on the ground drove it off and had the same vibration. This was done with the mech on board. After a short warm up it (4 miles or so) it is gone, and normally I am on on the freeway within 2 miles and I cant feel the vibration above 50mph. My car is still in the shop since the first alternator that showed up was bad. Cornering does not change the vibration and I believe being in nuetral at speed did not change it. But I am not positive. When I get it back I will try it again in nuetral
Thanks for your input I will let the board if it is resolved.