C32 amg misfire on one bank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c32amg
Go the same issue did you solve it as I’m stripping down my timing chain

Originally Posted by Shanr

Have been getting misfires on cylinder 1,2 and 3, this occured 1 second after i floored it, a friend who owns an exact same car as me with the same milleage had his cats fail For him, so we asumed that was the issue, we removed both primary cats and it still missfires, could the secondary cats create this problem aswell? Im drivning the car every now and then to hopefully get a New code, but nothing! Allthough now i cant rev over 2,5k without it misfiring, and after the misfires theres a hade idle, IF i restart it its to normal, and IF i rev it while in neutral it spins like it should?! Pls help, every answer is appreciated

Hi di you solve this as I have the same problem and currently eating towards the timing chain
thanks mike
Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
C32 amg
Check plugs if not plugs then u have coolant leak from IC. It also could be the PCV the connects underneath the throttle body, the rubber lines tend to break down and leak.

Last edited by Morphh; 02-25-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM

mercedes c32amg

I’ll check that in the morning. When I took the inlet off I looked down the inlet valve and no3 near the fire wall was like white inside.

It did did have a rough idle but down the road seems all cylinders are working. Fault just returns when you let off

Il do a compression test. But I noticed the chain tensioner could see it was very clean and when the carbon mark used to be???? Like seemed to be longer in length.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:27 AM

mercedes c32amg
Il do a compression test. Why would a primary cat cause missfire but I loaded it down the road I get no missfire
Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Michael Walford
Il do a compression test. Why would a primary cat cause missfire but I loaded it down the road I get no missfire
Have you checked the cats yet? I had the same symptoms on my slk32.

I data-logged everything trying to sort this and noticed my boost would go up as high as 26 psi at the point of failure (normally 20 psi with a 62mm sc pulley).

I tapped the cats and noticed only a small rattle on the passenger primary. I dropped the exhaust and discovered that the passenger primary cat had broken in that the first 3rd of the catalyst element had broke away and rotated inside the can causing unacceptably high back pressure under medium to full throttle. I busted out ALL of the cat element and put it back together ... ALL is fine now.

I am assuming that the elevated back pressure raises the cylinder pressure to the point where the plugs can't fire (even with the .032" gap I was running).

hope that helps,
Chris
Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 PM

mercedes c32amg
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Have you checked the cats yet? I had the same symptoms on my slk32.

I data-logged everything trying to sort this and noticed my boost would go up as high as 26 psi at the point of failure (normally 20 psi with a 62mm sc pulley).

I tapped the cats and noticed only a small rattle on the passenger primary. I dropped the exhaust and discovered that the passenger primary cat had broken in that the first 3rd of the catalyst element had broke away and rotated inside the can causing unacceptably high back pressure under medium to full throttle. I busted out ALL of the cat element and put it back together ... ALL is fine now.

I am assuming that the elevated back pressure raises the cylinder pressure to the point where the plugs can't fire (even with the .032" gap I was running).

hope that helps,
Chris

thanks Chris. It’s been stood for a year because of the fault my local mate had a look and noticed the chain tensioner was sticking out more than normal so got another car. So thought this week I’d have a look at her.
Took your lads advice

i rebuilt it all back together apart from the pulleys and water pump. And she started on all 6 cylinders. Before every time I started her missfired on the one bank.

So im gonna rebuild her and remove the cats.
Min glad I went on this site and wish I did it a year ago 🙈

il let ya know what happens next week. Hopefully the inside of the cats smash into bits and be sorted.