C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Buying a USED C32 AMG

Old 02-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
Originally Posted by Layne Ambrose
I can pick up a c32 dirt cheap localy. It has 243k miles on it, guy said it over heated, and sat for a while. Claims the engine will spin but not start, the engine oil shows no sign of water contamination. The guy is asking $1600 body and interior look decent, passenger seatback is off, but there. No rust, one quarter sized dentand scuff that will need paint correction on the passenger front fender with a broken marker light in the same position. So, is it worth the risk? I am a mechanic and have experience with mercedes benz, but the high miles and no start worry me. What would yall pay?
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'd have to think pretty hard about it even if it was free. Unless you can diagnose the no-start, and do compression check beforehand, you really should assume the motor is junk. Budgeting a rebuild is unrealistic, particularly if you end up needing to overhaul or replace the supercharger or intercooler. Finding a reasonable mileage motor & supercharger is probably the most sensible approach, and even with that and with doing the work yourself you'll pretty easily end up with $3k into it, not including other "surprises" (such as issues with transmission, computer modules, etc). On e-bay right now there are a couple of C32 motors listed, both around $2k without shipping. One has over 200k miles the other has 120k miles.

Just my opinion, but doesn't sound remotely worth it to me.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
203 amg c32
Thank you for the reply. What do you think about "part out" value?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'02 AMG C32, Mk5 VW R32, #2469/5000
Originally Posted by Layne Ambrose
Thank you for the reply. What do you think about "part out" value?
Potentially something, as long as you have some way to verify functionality of the parts. The various computer modules are worth something if you can verify they don't draw excessive current while inactive. Transmission is a tough one, with that mileage - even if you had a way to verify it works fine it's still really high mileage. Nevertheless it could still be worth something to someone wanting a good candidate to rebuild (having to take their car off the road only for the duration of the transmission swap rather than the duration of the entire rebuild plus the swap). I've found that there's a lot of part-out value from little things that are often overlooked, like interior trim pieces and miscellaneous small stuff in the engine bay. Good body parts (like wheels, panels, lights, lenses, bumper covers, skirts), particularly ones that are specific to the AMG models, are good to keep too, as long you're willing to sit on them until you find someone who needs them. You could hang onto some of that stuff for years until someone gets into a fender bender and needs a nice used taillight or bumper cover. Again this is just my opinion (and bear in mind I've parted out a lot of watercooled VWs but never a Mercedes), but I personally wouldn't pay more than a few hundred in this particular case if I was going to part it out, because I'd want to actually make some profit to make it all worthwhile. The combination of the non-running motor and the high mileage just really kills it for me.