C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Cool service update that can help with the shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool service update that can help with the shifting

Hi,

I just found out about a modification from one of the chief techs at a mercedes dealership. He is a very cool guy and has a lot of modified mercedes in his garage.

Anyways about the mod or really a correction. If you notice that when you modulate the throttle or press the gas pedal down there is a noticeable lag when the computer tries to downshift. It is not that bad on the street but it is noticeable on the track especially when you are trying to go uphill after a big turn. That is actually because of the torque converter lockup. It supposedly has to do with bad programming of transmission's valve body. Mercedes has redone this with the new e55 and the valve body can be put on the c32.

However the caveat with this is that mercedes will not do it unless you complain about it. So basically you have to complain about the ****ing being too slow and then lead the service advisor to the updated valve body. It should be covered under warranty too.

I have filed my complaint and I will be getting this mod done next week so I will post results and more details. The tech told me that it is a night and day difference.

Has anybody else heard about this or done this yet?

Prasith
Old 04-30-2004, 11:52 AM

02 C32
Thanks for the info. I'll ask the next time I go in for service. Do you know if there is a TSB on this?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:52 AM
rrf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good work

Be sure to post the p/n here, and ask the tech if this is a plug-n-play DIY job for the others that are "out of warranty".
Old 04-30-2004, 12:48 PM

SLK32
I thought that the 2003 models had the new valve body.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:18 PM

Hmm,

I am not sure maybe they put in halfway into 03 because mine is one of the earlier 03 models and mine does not have it. The tech told me this after he inspected my car.

Prasith
Old 04-30-2004, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Re: Cool service update that can help with the shifting

Originally posted by Prasith32
Hi,

I just found out about a modification from one of the chief techs at a mercedes dealership. He is a very cool guy and has a lot of modified mercedes in his garage.

Anyways about the mod or really a correction. If you notice that when you modulate the throttle or press the gas pedal down there is a noticeable lag when the computer tries to downshift. It is not that bad on the street but it is noticeable on the track especially when you are trying to go uphill after a big turn. That is actually because of the torque converter lockup. It supposedly has to do with bad programming of transmission's valve body. Mercedes has redone this with the new e55 and the valve body can be put on the c32.

However the caveat with this is that mercedes will not do it unless you complain about it. So basically you have to complain about the ****ing being too slow and then lead the service advisor to the updated valve body. It should be covered under warranty too.

I have filed my complaint and I will be getting this mod done next week so I will post results and more details. The tech told me that it is a night and day difference.

Has anybody else heard about this or done this yet?

Prasith
This is not that new an item. I had my trans, ecu, tq converter and valve body all upgraded to the newest spec and it shifted smoother and slower than it did when new. The 2003-04 cars do not **** the way the first 02's did. My car used to chirp 1-2 but post upgrade it was just tooooo smooth for such a crude move!

good luck
Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
"The 2003-04 cars do not **** the way the first 02's did."

What a load of crap.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:44 PM

vomit - that was too funny.

I was hoping I could get your advice on a speeding ticket I have to go to court in a couple of weeks. I will pm you and if you can take a look when you have some time that would be great.

CynCarvin,

The tech said this is an update from the e class so I am not sure if we are talking about the right thing. I don't have the chirp and mine is an 03 so it does shift pretty smooth. The one thing is that when you push in there seems to be a delay before it realizes that you want to downshift. I am hoping that this is the problem this will correct.

Maybe I am the only one with this problem, who knows. Anybody else feel this way about the downshifting?

Prasith
Old 05-01-2004, 07:20 AM

2006 Corvette Coupe
This sounds like something which would normally be documented in a TSB. Try to find out the TSB number, or if its not a TSB, the identify of the Mercedes document which authorizes the techs to do this. Then we can just go in and refer to the document.

If your Mercedes dealer is like mine, this is probably the only way you'd be able to point them in the right direction.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:04 AM

02 C32
Originally posted by cschow
This sounds like something which would normally be documented in a TSB. Try to find out the TSB number, or if its not a TSB, the identify of the Mercedes document which authorizes the techs to do this. Then we can just go in and refer to the document.

If your Mercedes dealer is like mine, this is probably the only way you'd be able to point them in the right direction.
Is it just for the MY03/04 or the 02 as well? I'm a little confused...
Old 05-01-2004, 09:23 PM

SLK32
Originally posted by Prasith32

I don't have the chirp and mine is an 03 so it does shift pretty smooth. The one thing is that when you push in there seems to be a delay before it realizes that you want to downshift. I am hoping that this is the problem this will correct.

Maybe I am the only one with this problem, who knows. Anybody else feel this way about the downshifting?

Prasith
You are not the only one. I have that problem also. I am just hoping the dealer can identify and fix my problem quickly. I am tired of loosing all that power in 1st and the slow to shift in other gears. I did not have these problems before the last visit to the dealer.