Another new C55 owner (with benefits)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2006 C55
Another new C55 owner (with benefits)

Howdy!
I've been lurking for years and even registered a few years ago but haven't been active on the forum. As a MB parts guy for 13 years I'm familiar with the breed.

My daily driver got squished by a red light runner so I was in the market for a replacement. It had to be inexpensive, reliable, feel relatively modern, and keep me entertained behind the wheel. The C55 seemed to be the perfect way to go so I got into an exhaustive search. The best example of the breed I could find was in (believe it or not) New Jersey. The car is in really good condition. Naturally, being from the NYC area it's had a bit of bumper bashing going on but it looks good and the interior is near mint. My friends are hard pressed to believe it's an 11 year old car and my techs at work all give it high praise for the condition.
It's an all black 2006 C55 that showed 80,000 miles when I bought it. The 1600 mile drive home let me get familiar with the car and it also showed me that these are a bit tight for long road trips. I'll keep my Maybach-dwarfing 1972 Imperial for those duties.
Anyway, someone had already replaced the sway bar end links. The valve cover gaskets were done at some point in time but the tech used pookie on the gaskets for some reason. I picked up the thrust arm bushings to replace the kinda worn pieces on the car. Other than that, the car is good to go.

The floor mats were missing so I started chasing part numbers and found the previous dealership I was at had the last set of carpet floor mats in the dealer network. None were available in the parts depots. I grabbed them and tossed the set in my trunk. I almost feel bad about the idea of putting them in the car.

I'll be floating around the forums every now and then. Luckily, I've been around the breed long enough to know the majority of the quirks so I shouldn't have any insurmountable obstacles, assuming another woman doesn't run a red light.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! They are a fun car, but do have their maintenance needs.
We may need your help when fishing for parts. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 AMG
Originally Posted by kbob999
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! They are a fun car, but do have their maintenance needs.
We may need your help when fishing for parts. Keep us posted on your progress.
+1 congrats... if u can find another set of floor mats I will pay a premium!

i installed factory ruber mats and took out my stock AMG to preserve them. The backing/foam is coming apart.

​​​​​
Old 10-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2006 C55
Originally Posted by sker13
i installed factory ruber mats and took out my stock AMG to preserve them. The backing/foam is coming apart.
​​​​​
Foam disintegration is fairly common with older mats. Not much to be done about it.

Knowing Mercedes, there will not be another set of floor mats appearing. The mats are one thing they'll kill off without worry.