C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 722.6 Transmission Issue-Going into Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
C55 722.6 Transmission Issue-Going into Limp Mode

Alright guys. Need some of your help here. I'm new here but been in the performance car/truck world for over 20 yrs. This isn't my first AMG either as I had a W202 C43 that I bought cheap, fixed and sold (regretting selling it to this day) and a CLS63.

Im having the "stuck in 4th gear" electronic limp mode from time to time. It has thrown a code only once. (P0705) prior to me doing the work described below.

I did the connector plug/adapter, trans conductor plate, new fluids/filter, inspected the TCU (bone dry) and it seems to have not solved the issue. I drove it home from the shop, then to work (50 miles) the next day and everything was fine...problem solved........NOPE....then on my way home it went into limp mode again (maybe 5 miles from my office after start up). I pulled off, restarted the car and it was fine again (no codes), drove home in manual mode and tested pulling on the ignition key (I used to have a decent amount of keys on the key ring and thought it may be doing a "General Motors" and disabling an ignition connection) and it was fine, I couldn't reproduce it.

I'm concerned that the typical stuff didn't fix the issue and the TCU appears bone dry. The only thing left is the actual shifter. Am I missing something?

Old 01-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 Granite Gray C55
Honestly, I would take it to a shop or someone that has a Star diagnostic reader. I didn't have the 0705 code, but I had gotten the p0715 for a bad conductor plate.
Even after replacing the plate at home, fortunately I had a friend who had a star reader so could diagnose and clear the tranny code.

Other than my .02 cents, I honestly have no other clues.
Hopefully another member who has experience with this code or tranny can chime in.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Thanks MrVu. I should have clarified. This was done at a shop with STAR. Everything was cleared and hunky dory.

I've actually only gotten it to throw a code once in the multiple times it has done this.