C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need criticism on selling my 32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2001 ML55 Designo, 2004 C32 AMG, RIP 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i
Need criticism on selling my 32

Hi all, I've been a happy owner for 11 months. Personal reasons have pushed me to get sell and get something bigger. I will admit, I haven't been the most attentive owner. Just a college student who wanted a faster car and kept up with basic things. I've had around 5 people look at the car and their concerns are mainly the bumper and the AC and then they throw a super lowball which ends up wasting my time and theirs.

I recently met met up with someone who was interested but they were straightforward and understanding but most importantly they were respectful and gave great suggestions and advice. That encounter was probably the best car selling buying experience I've had recently. Unfortunately, the offer was realistically low.

im here seeking criticism on my ad and need suggestions from my fellow enthusiasts. I'm a humble and honest seller and have no intentions of wrong doing or scamming but it seems like everyone else who came to see it felt like i was. I realized that was because they ended up finding out more of what's wrong with the car. I've since updated it to the best of my memory and knowledge.

Dont hold back...
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/2004-mercedes-c32-real-amg/6484747534.html

I truly believe my price is fair when compared to other c32's on the market. What do you think?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Instead of something like "xxxx done @ 147,000miles", which then causes buyers to find the mileage now and back date the math, just change it to say, "xxxx was done 4k miles ago". You can add a disclaimer that mileage will/may go up as the car is still being driven, but all of those "140,xxxx" & "148,xxx"s are killing the tone.

This alleviates buyers from doing the math on their own, possibly wrong, but also throws a lot of much lower numbers in the ad. It's all psychological BS, but it works. Instead of being reminded 6 different ways the car has over 140-150k miles, throw the lower numbers in there showing just how much work had been done "recently" and only list the overall mileage once, maybe twice.

I'd also honestly get rid of the last 5 paragraphs and end the ad with this,
"Please understand that this car is almost 15 years old. Blue book doesn't factor in rarity and/or availability".

When you sell this you DO NOT want anything to do with it or its new owner. Being a working student means you ain't got no time fo' that. Seriously. If you really wanted to be nice, jot down some good parts places and give that to the new owner. Anything else is will be like a crazy ex- that won't go away.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
Instead of something like "xxxx done @ 147,000miles", which then causes buyers to find the mileage now and back date the math, just change it to say, "xxxx was done 4k miles ago". You can add a disclaimer that mileage will/may go up as the car is still being driven, but all of those "140,xxxx" & "148,xxx"s are killing the tone.

This alleviates buyers from doing the math on their own, possibly wrong, but also throws a lot of much lower numbers in the ad. It's all psychological BS, but it works. Instead of being reminded 6 different ways the car has over 140-150k miles, throw the lower numbers in there showing just how much work had been done "recently" and only list the overall mileage once, maybe twice.

I'd also honestly get rid of the last 5 paragraphs and end the ad with this,
"Please understand that this car is almost 15 years old. Blue book doesn't factor in rarity and/or availability".

When you sell this you DO NOT want anything to do with it or its new owner. Being a working student means you ain't got no time fo' that. Seriously. If you really wanted to be nice, jot down some good parts places and give that to the new owner. Anything else is will be like a crazy ex- that won't go away.

thank you ill I'll be editing it soon. I admit it looks like I'm a crazy person but the amount of messages I get from Craigslisters who have no idea about this car are just too much so I went overboard with my ad to (I thought it would work) reduce the amount of questions and surprises when they see it. How do you feel about the pricing ?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by Oshkoshbigjosh

thank you ill I'll be editing it soon. I admit it looks like I'm a crazy person but the amount of messages I get from Craigslisters who have no idea about this car are just too much so I went overboard with my ad to (I thought it would work) reduce the amount of questions and surprises when they see it. How do you feel about the pricing ?
I understand all about the Craigslist-crazies, but tailor the ad for an AMG buyer, not the whackos.

The pricing seems like a deal even with what's needed, but again, it will be perfect for the right buyer or an idiot who'll let it decline and rot. Either way, that's why I said nix the help after the sale. It will either go to someone who will care enough to find out what's needed and do it, which leaves you out of it. Or, it goes to someone who doesn't care and you don't want to be involved in their mess.

You may need to be patient or fix some smaller items like the missing door lock pin and such to get it to move. Most people are scared of used AMGs, the more problems it already has just shrinks the buying pool even more, IMO. Still seems like a good price since I can see one with nothing needed going for double, but what do I know?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Shame you're on the other side of the country, or i'd be very interested in the car. Other than that, good luck, I hate selling on CL, the people are just the worst.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, C55 AMG
https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/tips-for-writing-online-car-ads-26795
Old 02-22-2018, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
I understand all about the Craigslist-crazies, but tailor the ad for an AMG buyer, not the whackos.

The pricing seems like a deal even with what's needed, but again, it will be perfect for the right buyer or an idiot who'll let it decline and rot. Either way, that's why I said nix the help after the sale. It will either go to someone who will care enough to find out what's needed and do it, which leaves you out of it. Or, it goes to someone who doesn't care and you don't want to be involved in their mess.

You may need to be patient or fix some smaller items like the missing door lock pin and such to get it to move. Most people are scared of used AMGs, the more problems it already has just shrinks the buying pool even more, IMO. Still seems like a good price since I can see one with nothing needed going for double, but what do I know?
I did some editing to the ad. I'm gonna try to maybe re arrange things and make it easier on the eyes and more comprehensible.
I re read the part I mentioned I would follow through after with sourcing parts and re realized how crazy that is. What was I thinking?
You are right on the money when you say most people are scared of used Amgs. My logic behind the price is based on what a well sorted c32 would cost around me. A lot of the good ones with lower mileage or just cleaner int/ext are going for over 5 k and some are listed at 7-8k so if someone were to just put in the money they can get much more for much less. What do you know? Well you bought one so you seem to have a good grasp on the actual value and not just what the blue book dictates. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Shame you're on the other side of the country, or i'd be very interested in the car. Other than that, good luck, I hate selling on CL, the people are just the worst.
a shame indeed. thank you for not making me seem delusional on my asking price.

i agree CL is the worst but sometimes it could be worth the hassle
Old 02-22-2018, 01:57 AM

this was more helpful than I thought it would be. I'm going to use this formula when I edit it tomorrow! Thanks a bunch
Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, C55 AMG
My pleasure.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
b5 a4
dang thats cheap... glws