So many electrical issues - any input would be much appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32
Unhappy So many electrical issues - any input would be much appreciated

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well and thank you for clicking my thread.

To start, I have a 2002 C32 AMG with 180k miles. It has been a fairly reliable car minus certain electrical issues which has gotten pretty bad recently. I'm hoping for helpful inputs from members who have gone through these issues.

Issues:
- Wipers do not function.
- High beams stay on along with low beams when car is on. Cannot turn high beams off.
- Car is running in Limp Mode (supercharger not engaging but car starts and runs).
- Code P0410 Secondary Air Injection system
- Auxiliary Cooling Pump stays running even after key is removed, draining battery unless if I unplug the pump manually.
- "BRAKE" light on instrument gauge cluster stays on when car is on even with e-brake disengaged.
- Fog lights do not turn on.
- Rear tail lights do not come on but brake lights work.

Yes...I know. So many issues. I'm heavily leaning towards a faulty SAM. Anyone agree?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Sounds like faulty front SAM to me too. Best bet is start with a SDS scan and see what is really wrong. The money you cave on buying an SDS and doing this yourself would pay for the SDS.
The motor related issues could be unrelated, or from the SAM. But because the issues COULD be all electrical...I'm betting SAM.

Let us know what fixes it.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Agree with kbob. Unless you have rats chewing on your cable harness, this has to be your SAM.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Originally Posted by kbob999
Sounds like faulty front SAM to me too. Best bet is start with a SDS scan and see what is really wrong. The money you cave on buying an SDS and doing this yourself would pay for the SDS.
The motor related issues could be unrelated, or from the SAM. But because the issues COULD be all electrical...I'm betting SAM.

Let us know what fixes it.
Hey guys. So I replaced the front SAM with one found on a 2004 C240 and multiple electrical issues were resolved. See list below:

- Wipers do not function. **SOLVED
- High beams stay on along with low beams when car is on. Cannot turn high beams off. **SOLVED
- Car is running in Limp Mode (supercharger not engaging but car starts and runs).
- Code P0410 Secondary Air Injection system
- Auxiliary Cooling Pump stays running even after key is removed, draining battery unless if I unplug the pump manually. **SOLVED
- "BRAKE" light on instrument gauge cluster stays on when car is on even with
e-brake e-brake
disengaged. **SOLVED
- Fog lights do not turn on. **SOLVED
- Rear tail lights do not come on but brake lights work.

The supercharger was working on and off a couple of weeks ago but now it doesn't work at all. It may be a bad coolong pump but that was replaced 2 years ago. Still looking into this issue.

Code P0410 still comes on. The air injection pump works as direct power was applied to it from the battery. The relay clicks and there's resistance between the two pins once activated. The pump is just not coming on during cold starts which throws the code. The fuse is also good. Still looking into this.

The taillight issue I currently have no clue. I'll put this on the back burner for now.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I would definite get a scan but the sc is probably the water temp sensor or the iat sensor then. Also what does your battery voltage look like.