C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Xtrons 8" Android 8 stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
Alright! so got everything working now, the Red ACC cable from FOBB03 needed to be tapped into the ACC coming out of new HU and the Yellow B 12+ cable from FOBB03 to the constant 12V Red line located under the ash try, next to the 12V Red you have a Brown Ground cable that you will tap your Black cable into and got the FOBB03 to power up!

So now that i have configured everything there is one thing i really dislike about using this aftermarket HU. Your limiting your Fiber optic system to using only front out put from the HU or the rear and even-tho you still hear from all the speakers (Not really) its bit to low compared to stock and the quality is nowhere near my stock HU unfortunately however i will be ordering two RCA Y splitters and try to merge rear right/front right and rear left/front left. I am thinking the AMP should adjust the extra 2 inputs IF the FOBB03 box makes that happen(doubt it), i shall find out soon but take a look at what i mean below.........

Look at this diagram but reverse it, the amp will be both rights and both lefts coming from the new HU into 2 inputs on the FOBB03 then to the Fiber optic cable just gotta hope the FOBB03 can push 4 signals into 2 inputs and the AMP should push to the appropriate channels in the car speakers?
Think about it our stock system (AMP) does all the audio line splitting / routing to the speakers so i am probably looking at this very wrong but for a few bucks i wanna try because honestly i will switch back if i cant find a solution to help rear and front speakers be loud, even and crisp! the OEM sounds is much better in my opinion (Night and Day), really wish Xtron or any other company that designs these decoders make it more than 2 input signals to Fiber optic or just have a optional HU with the fiber optic output.

I will add some Pictures at some point tomorrow to show you the new look!

Last edited by Timmy121; 10-03-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:40 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Ok i did say i will add pictures tomorrow but had to run back out so here are two for ya. Overall it looks great! ........the sound over OEM its OK but maybe i just have to get used to it.

Not bad looking at all!
The following users liked this post:
LUV2SPD (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 03:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
C55 AMG
Which one did you get in the end?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:21 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by daynger
Which one did you get in the end?
I went with PB78M209P because I still want all the buttons vs 1 inch of more screen space but other than that they are exactly the same software wise. Next will be camera install hopefully in few days.
The following users liked this post:
daynger (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Mercedes C55
Looks very nice, too bad about the sound quality. Are you going to get the wireless OBD II from Xtron as well to check engine codes? On their website it is only $12.50. My car's engine is modified and I get the occasional check engine light as well; it would be super convenient just to check it through the stereo and cancel it.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:57 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by LUV2SPD
Looks very nice, too bad about the sound quality. Are you going to get the wireless OBD II from Xtron as well to check engine codes? On their website it is only $12.50. My car's engine is modified and I get the occasional check engine light as well; it would be super convenient just to check it through the stereo and cancel it.
yeah i got the OBD II together for extra $15 and it works great so far tho i haven't really dived deep into it. I had no error codes saved or in system at time of checking (good thing lol) but the Rev, Engine temp, MPH/KPH, Vacuum pressure and MPG seem to be on point! but next thing is messing with the 1/4 times 1/8 and the 0-60, I did 0-60 at 5.1 secs (i am stock) and that's with little tire spin and up a slight slope not very steep and i found out the issue with the sound!!!!!.......the damn ''LOUD EQ'' setting was on by default and it made the system sound like the speakers were going bad, after turning it off today i found it was nice and clear! now to just get all speakers to work at 100% (the rear) but I'll be testing this wiring stuff out soon, check my picture below and don't laugh lol i just put something together to explain what exactly i am going to try.

There is by default only 1 set of left and right RCA Y cables that go from HU to Analog(spelled wrong in picture lol) to optic converter so you get only good loud front sound if you plugged in with the front HU outputs or very loud in rear if you choose the rear HU output for the box so i will be taking 2 sets of RCA Y cables and each set will be for both front and back RIGHT and other for only front and back LEFT to the analog to optic converter but question is will the converter box be able to push 4 channels with only 2 channel inputs? REALLY hope this will work.

Last edited by Timmy121; 10-05-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:53 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Ok, Returning the radio in few days, I just cant do with only front end working when i have 12 speakers and not to mention the power output isnt great, i max out the vol and its loud but not where i like it!............stopped at my buddy's house and sat in his 2006 C55 and man! its so much better sounding but i mean its not terrible sound from the aftermarket or anything but i rather have full functional sound and clarity over having BT, Android, Maps, DAB+, ETC........i mean i have my Pixel 2 XL for all that. I will be buying the AUX input for my stock radio
Old 10-06-2018, 03:37 AM

C55 AMG
Bummer, I was keeping an eye on this with the intention of buying one too.
So the issue is you have no sound out of the rear speakers at all?
Old 10-06-2018, 03:38 AM

C55 AMG
Fantomas, do you have full sound in your car?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:15 AM

2005 C55 AMG
Bummer, I was keeping an eye on this with the intention of buying one too.
So the issue is you have no sound out of the rear speakers at all?
Its so faint that i had 2 of my friends in the back yesterday and they asked me if i had fade on from the rear and i was like huh?!? so i sat back there to see for myself and yeah you pretty much cant hear it and the speakers in the top back rear seats are silent. The stock radio was either built with like a 5.1 or 7.1 via Optic cable and the amp would split the sound via copper wire to all 12 speakers mixed passively/actively and with this unit it will support 4.1 at very least but problem is the analog to fiber optic converter is limited to only stereo input(only 2 RCA inputs) so if you plug the converter box up with the front output from HU you get loud sound up toward front of the car and if you swap the input from HU to rear output you get loud sound in the rear but now the front is SUPER quiet, the amp was setup to split much more than a stereo source so you become very limited with sound, also the center speaker in the front dash is very quiet. SO as i said i will be installing my stock tomorrow and returning the new HU. I even bought one these to see if i could get something like at least rear and front working with the four sources merged but it didn't help at all
''Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer'' ''Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer''
. Now if having all the updated features is what you want and don't mind the stereo output then i'd go for it, it doesn't sound bad and your the driver anyway to you will hear your music just fine i prefer all my speakers running, i already ordered my AUX input cable for my stock Radio and wish i did that from the start but honestly all the updated features are very nice but i rather have my sound which was my real reason upgrading to use BT and no more CD's(too many! lol) so i will live w/o extra updated features. AH one more thing of you want extra space in your glove box like me! order
THIS CABLE THIS CABLE
to close the fiber loop and remove the space clogging CD changer weather you upgrade to new HU or not lol.......no sense on having it anymore now that i will be using AUX input.

Last edited by Timmy121; 10-06-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 ML350, 2005 C55, 2004 E55
Fantomas, do you have full sound in your car?
Got home at 10:30pm, paused Spotify on my phone, cranked up the volume to 30, got in the back seat and pressed play on my phone. I sampled a couple different songs before the GF ran outside the house, opened the car door and asked what the hell is wrong with me. I told her to mind her own business, we're still not talking.

It does get loud and I do have sound out of the back speakers, loud enough to annoy the GF and the neighbors. Since the optical to analog converter is 2ch there is only left and right, no front or back so the fader is completely useless, turning it to back speakers just reduces the volume.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:58 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fantomas
Got home at 10:30pm, paused Spotify on my phone, cranked up the volume to 30, got in the back seat and pressed play on my phone. I sampled a couple different songs before the GF ran outside the house, opened the car door and asked what the hell is wrong with me. I told her to mind her own business, we're still not talking.

It does get loud and I do have sound out of the back speakers, loud enough to annoy the GF and the neighbors. Since the optical to analog converter is 2ch there is only left and right, no front or back so the fader is completely useless, turning it to back speakers just reduces the volume.
Do you know what system you have?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Timmy121
Do you know what system you have?
HK I think, had factory navigation
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55 amg, 2003 c32 amg, 1998 acura integra gsr k swap, 2000 honda s2000, 2008 honda cbr 1000rr
**** its only for the c55? im trying to install kenwood double din in my c32 but i was told that i gotta run the kenwood harness to the trunk where the stock amp is and wire it up to that?! man if someone can help me out ill hook them up with something. i got random parts or can make parts in caron fiber etc etc. Hell if anyone in az who can come out...ill def hook you up!! sorry for tis dumb rude reply but i cant read all the past post on this thread so sorry if its been covered too!
Old 10-13-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by EezyBake
**** its only for the c55? im trying to install kenwood double din in my c32 but i was told that i gotta run the kenwood harness to the trunk where the stock amp is and wire it up to that?! man if someone can help me out ill hook them up with something. i got random parts or can make parts in caron fiber etc etc. Hell if anyone in az who can come out...ill def hook you up!! sorry for tis dumb rude reply but i cant read all the past post on this thread so sorry if its been covered too!
Pretty sure they have a model for the C32, measure your stereo faceplate and go to their website to find one that fits.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:36 PM

aaaaaaand it broke. Bummer, worked just last night.

The stereo tries to boot up but can't mount the main system disk, tries to load sd card and gets stuck on recovery screen, giving me an option of selecting reset to defaults but not the ability to select it due to lack of physical buttons. Unhooked and battery and the result is the same. If I had to guess a solder joint failed somewhere from 2yrs of vibrations and bumps. Might be able to load the os onto a micro sd card if I can find the system image.

Gonna check and see if its covered under warranty, if not probably going to something with Android auto.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 Corvette Z06, 1999 E55 AMG
Hey guys, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these head units for my C55. I only have apple and this might be a dumb question but is there a conversion for apple car play or something that will make my music etc play on this?

thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:02 PM

You don't need Apple Carplay or Android Auto (neither of which this has) to stream music over bluetooth to this unit.