Firs-time Benz Owner Needs Guidance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Firs-time Benz Owner Needs Guidance

Hi Everybody,

I've been registered on the site for about 2.5 months and have been trying to learn as much as I can. Im a first-time Mercedes Benz owner and I got a 2002, C32 AMG with 200K miles. I did the big mistake of buying it out of desperation but it was a hella good price! I didnt have a car at the time (my Land Rover crapped out) and with my budget, it was either this or a Subaru...

Anyway, when I first started reviewing the car it was in really bad shape. There was oil and grease on everything! Literally, on everything. From the engine block to the tranny case, to even the shocks and wheel wells. But the damn thing runs like hell!

It looks to me like the previous owner didnt do any upkeep to the car for a number of years, Im guessing 5. (See pictures) When i changed the oil and filter, the oil was beyond burnt and black, it looks like swamp sludge...kinda green. the belt, looked like it was about to melt on the pulley and the fuse boxes, all 3 of them, were missing lots of fuses and had the wrong ones in place. I couldnt believe the car drove at all, let alone so well. But then again, ive never owned a Benzo, so i cant really compare it. All I know,is it looks good, it's fast and stops on a dime.

In the last couple of months I've done some of the basic maintenance and replaced the LCD display cluster screen, engine oil & filter, gas filter, air filters, supercharger oil, and washed off as much of the grease as I could.

I had the car scanned at an auto electricians but i don't think he did it right. I saw an 8 next to the AMG on his scanner and i think maybe he had it set for the E55, not C32. (see pictures). So I purchased my own scanner and just got it today. I plan on diagnosing the car tomorrow but even so, I dont know what common failures these cars have, what I should look out for, etc., which makes it difficult to decide what to take on first. I have over 20 problem codes from the scan, which i will list below, but like said i dont know if they are legit.

I also bought the workshop manual, the CD set but that thing is so damn confusing right now, that I've been better off watching tons of YouTube and reading your posts here.

So, anyway, I am now trying to figure out what I should do next. Should i buy a transmission kit, or open up the rocker covers and replace the gaskets (which i have) then look at the heads, camshaft, lifters, or replace the timing chain? I can afford to take on all 3 jobs at once because i am super busy with my own business, and i need to drive the car daily. I am in need of any direction or guidance that you wise fellows can provide. It would really help me out and keep my baby running. Thanks so much!

Last edited by Doogaloo13; 12-01-2018 at 04:37 AM.