C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need help troubleshooting C55 transmission and/or start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 C55
Need help troubleshooting C55 transmission and/or start up

I have been trying to figure this out the last couple of days, hopefully some collective wisdom will help.

A few days ago, I drove my car all day and all of a sudden it would not shift out of first gear, the display would just show it in drive and all the gauges (except the MFD) were frozen. I was in a hurry so I dropped the car off at home and took my truck to finish my day.

Also when I parked the car the transmission kept showing as it was in drive. I noticed this because when I put the parking brake on, I got the warning about it being on even though the the actual transmission was in park.

When I get back home, the car would not start but the MFD would work - I could even get into the additional display for dyno mode. Also, I could not move the shifter from park. No messages and no light on the dash for ABS, ESP, etc.

This morning, the car started fine, was able to go into reverse, then drive. I drove it for a minute but then it reverted to the same thing. Pretty quickly, as in before I left my block from my driveway - but it did shift into 2nd gear momentarily.

I have checked battery voltage and it displays good voltage - even when it started it did not drop under 11v and when running it shows the 14.4-14.2v like normal. All fuses related to start up have been checked.

I have been searching through this forum, including the W203 forum and Google but nothing has helped yet.

Any ideas?

Damian

Last edited by DG83 C55; 01-20-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
May be a gear selector switch,but in any event you need someone with good diagnostics that can read the transmission module for faults,aka a solution to the problem.