Loud noise when starting my C55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by waldis
maybe u should get a dyno test for your c55 to see if the car is really losing power because sometimes it is a mental thing, where people "feel and think" their cars are losing power. just my .02.

also, what is the name of your dealer?

let us know how things worked out for your! I would be interested to know what are the ECU faults that the dealer diagnosed.

Good Luck!

No, i know for certain that there was a loss in power. I will know right away when i get it back if it was really fixed or not.

The dealer is Autohaus. I actually called today, the part they said it was is the "ME Controller" whats that?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
C55 Problems & Techs

Doesn't surprise me the tech didn't know much about it... nobody at my dealer here knows much about mine either. Most of them thought it was supercharged too (wish it was!). My C55 has already spent 3 days in for service in the 1 1/2 weeks I've owned it. So far, it's build quality leaves much to be desired over all the Bimmers I've owned. Mine has had a non functional Nav, Check Engine light for intermittent air pump & major oil leak. Now, it just started blasting me with full volume distortion from the Nav & radio when I put the key in about 1 out of 10-15 times... nice. Now it's got to go back for this & they probably won't be able to find it since it's intermittent too.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by rbaker
Doesn't surprise me the tech didn't know much about it... nobody at my dealer here knows much about mine either. Most of them thought it was supercharged too (wish it was!). My C55 has already spent 3 days in for service in the 1 1/2 weeks I've owned it. So far, it's build quality leaves much to be desired over all the Bimmers I've owned. Mine has had a non functional Nav, Check Engine light for intermittent air pump & major oil leak. Now, it just started blasting me with full volume distortion from the Nav & radio when I put the key in about 1 out of 10-15 times... nice. Now it's got to go back for this & they probably won't be able to find it since it's intermittent too.
I know exactly how you feel! it really sucks! these intermittent problems are not joy at all! My radio always turns on the same volume when i put the key in! which is usually pretty loud (i have nav also). I was not sure if there was a way to change that or not. I guess i should look at the manual.

When the car does work fine, it is really an unbelievable car to drive. Just wish i had those times more!

Btw, i too wish is was supercharged! :p
Old 08-12-2004, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
WOW.. I feel for you guys.. You expect a new car without any problems... Car problems are the worse, I don't think I will be buying a C55 anytime soon.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear about your troubles

but I think it is a case of the new mercedes model blues

This has always happened historically even with the C32 and across all marques in general.

The first few models have a lot of gremlins running around

It usually takes a year to get them out but some always remain.

The price to pay to have the latest and greatest I guess.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
This is just great. The dealer just called and said they just got notified that the part wont be in till at least wednesday! this means the time they actually put it in will be like thursday or friday if i am lucky. Thats if everything goes smooth. That means almost 2 weeks without my car and i dont even have a loaner! This does not make me happy at all.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Prasith32
sorry to hear about your troubles

but I think it is a case of the new mercedes model blues

This has always happened historically even with the C32 and across all marques in general.

The first few models have a lot of gremlins running around

It usually takes a year to get them out but some always remain.

The price to pay to have the latest and greatest I guess.

Well, I used to think it was a problem with new models. But then I thought about my C230 coupe. It was an 02' which was the first year they came out. I had the car for just under 3 years and never had a problem with it. It only went to the dealer for scheduled maintenance.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Not a single word from your salesman Marcus...
Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by oggle
Not a single word from your salesman Marcus...
Well its not Marks fault. I guess i would not know what to say either! :p
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The funny thing is that the problem does not sound like a bad ECU. All that waiting for the part and they will probably find out that it did not fix the problem.

I would demand that they take the part off the first C55 that rolls off their trailer. Let the next customer wait for their car. Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Neal,

I am sorry to hear about your problems, but I am surprised that the dealer is not giving you a loaner. This issue sounds like a safety problem and should require them to give you a rental, even if it is a Yugo!! Also, (oggle) this is the first that I have read this particular thread as it just popped back up and I was away from my computer all day yesterday!! BTW, the story about the old man driving the car is funny and reminds me of a few of the techs at my dealership. All you can do is hope for the best and pray that the new part is the remedy!! Keep us posted!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Neal. That really sucks, thank god (knock on wood) i haven't had one single problem with my C55. Im not sure were you are exactly in S. Florida, but i have a great tech at my dealer (Bill Ussery) if you're interested! Hope everything turns out ok
Old 08-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
The funny thing is that the problem does not sound like a bad ECU. All that waiting for the part and they will probably find out that it did not fix the problem.

Oh god! please dont even bring that up! :p

Does anyone know what the "ME Control Unit" is?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by MiamiC55
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Neal. That really sucks, thank god (knock on wood) i haven't had one single problem with my C55. Im not sure were you are exactly in S. Florida, but i have a great tech at my dealer (Bill Ussery) if you're interested! Hope everything turns out ok
I am in Broward. Thanks though, if its not fixed this time maybe i can try a different dealer. Maybe Bill Ussery would be better. Actually, why dont we just switch cars then? :p :p :p
Old 08-13-2004, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
This is just great. The dealer just called and said they just got notified that the part wont be in till at least wednesday! this means the time they actually put it in will be like thursday or friday if i am lucky. Thats if everything goes smooth. That means almost 2 weeks without my car and i dont even have a loaner! This does not make me happy at all.
No loaner???? That sucks..... I even got a loaner when I went for service B...

But so far, I have to admit the best service I ever got was from a Volvo dealer..... always got a loaner car (it's even the same class or better.... unlike MB... I most likely got a C230 or C240)... no mileage limit and no penalty if you are late..... even for problem check up like you are experiencing right now, there is no charge unless they could duplicate the problem...

Why don't you try other dealerships if you think this one really sucks (from the tech person to no loaner cars)....

Well, good luck and keep us posted..... My friend is thinking of buying one and he may decide to get a used C32 instead...
Old 08-13-2004, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally Posted by MarcusBenz
Also, (oggle) this is the first that I have read this particular thread
That's not what I heard.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:16 PM

'03 c320wz
if it goes over 30 days before the first 18 months. lemon it. then get another one
Old 08-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Originally Posted by oggle
That's not what I heard.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
Neal, if the dealership u took it to doesnt fix it, you have 2 alternatives... either try Bill Ussery like Chris mentioned, or my tech and service advisor at MB of Miami will make sure the problem is fixed...the tech is a very close family friend of mine!!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
[QUOTE=zoink]No loaner???? That sucks..... I even got a loaner when I went for service B...

QUOTE]

Well, i did not buy my car at this dealer. They recently just stopped giving loaners if u did not buy it there. As much as i would like a loaner, i am to youg to legally drive it anyway. One main reason i brought it to this dealer was also becuase a friend of mine is a tech there. Although right now they are letting a "master tech" work on it from what i heard.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by BenzoAMGpower
Neal, if the dealership u took it to doesnt fix it, you have 2 alternatives... either try Bill Ussery like Chris mentioned, or my tech and service advisor at MB of Miami will make sure the problem is fixed...the tech is a very close family friend of mine!!

Thanks man. Hopefully this will be the fix. If not, u may be hearing from me soon. :p
Old 08-14-2004, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

tell the dealer that the cause of the problem is because it's missing the supercharger....
Old 08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by pokerFACE
tell the dealer that the cause of the problem is because it's missing the supercharger....
Oh man, that would be great to get them to swap it to a E55 engine! :p
Old 08-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Ok, here is an update.

I got my car back today! FINALLY! They replaced the "ME Control Unit" which they said is the engine managment system that was was causing the problem. I sure hope that was it. The car is driving great though. I do not feel any more loss in power thank god, and so far, i did not hear any noises when starting the car. Boy, after a week of not having it, it sure felt great to be driving it again. Even though i did not have the car to long, just from not driving it a week made it feel new all over again! All i can say is, even if there are anymore problems, it will still never get me away from loving Mercedes. (when there working that is :p )
Old 08-18-2004, 03:16 PM

congrats! now, is this a service update every C55 should get or just some C55s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Loud noise when starting my C55?