Finished Parktronic install on c32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Finished Parktronic install on c32

I just got back from my trip to CA. Finished the parktronic install on wiedermann's c32. Also got to meet awiner and carvinc32. Great guys. Wiedermann will post pictures later.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
It was a pleasure meeting you too Sunil.

You really know the C-Class well. Watching you working was amazing !
Old 07-28-2004, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunman
I just got back from my trip to CA. Finished the parktronic install on wiedermann's c32. Also got to meet awiner and carvinc32. Great guys. Wiedermann will post pictures later.
Oh doctor, you do on-site service??? When are you going to visit Vancouver and install the multi-contour seats for me??
Old 07-28-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Corvette Coupe
Talking

Woot, is the famous Sunman doing house calls now? I've got a Lidatek LE-30 I've have no clue on how to install at all
Old 07-28-2004, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
what is a lidatek LE30? I am guessing a radar detector.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Harris,

Let me get my seats first and I will let you know so my parts are available.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:01 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Actually, a Lidatek LE-30 is a laser detector/jammer designed for permenant mounting. I got mine through the BMW M5/M3 group buy set up back last winter. The LE-30 is Lidatek's latest unit, and it was originally supposed to have been released back around January, but only became available in July.

In theory, being the latest released jammer it should employ the latest technology. The people at Lidatek assure me that my Lexus' laser cruise control system will not cause the system to false, for example. The Lidatek unit differs from many other jammers in that its set up to jam for a short period of time (5 sec?) upon detecting a laser being aimed at the car, then it shuts down for 1 min before re-arming. In theory you're suppose to slow down in the 5-second window and then the re-arm period is suppose to permit your new speed to be measured.

I think the Audi people somewhere have a group buy currently active if anyone wants to get one at a discount.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
The laser beam employed on the intelligent cruise control systems is a very narrow beam so it should not affect anything.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by cschow
Actually, a Lidatek LE-30 is a laser detector/jammer designed for permenant mounting. I got mine through the BMW M5/M3 group buy set up back last winter. The LE-30 is Lidatek's latest unit, and it was originally supposed to have been released back around January, but only became available in July.

In theory, being the latest released jammer it should employ the latest technology. The people at Lidatek assure me that my Lexus' laser cruise control system will not cause the system to false, for example. The Lidatek unit differs from many other jammers in that its set up to jam for a short period of time (5 sec?) upon detecting a laser being aimed at the car, then it shuts down for 1 min before re-arming. In theory you're suppose to slow down in the 5-second window and then the re-arm period is suppose to permit your new speed to be measured.

I think the Audi people somewhere have a group buy currently active if anyone wants to get one at a discount.
do you have issues w/police having a radar detector in VA, even though it seems like somewhat of a stealth install?`
Old 07-28-2004, 08:13 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
Well, the Lidatek LE-30 is yet to be installed. I have the V-1 stealth mounted and it hasn't attracted any attention yet.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking W203 C32-AMG PTS Install Pics

PTS parts

PTS parts: Sensors, strip, etc

Rear light with built in reading lamps and PTS rear display

Gutted car front

Pass door floor

Main computer

PTS main module on top of main computer

PTS Front harness

PTS Rear display.

PTS Rear display close up. New rear light unit comes with reading lamps

PTS Front display (on center dash grill)

PTS Front display close up (on center dash grill)

Dash strips with all buttons functional (second button from the left is the PTS swtich off)

New look on the front with Euro strips w PTS sensors (orange corner light went "bye bye")

Rear/side view of PTS strip/sensors

Rear/side view of PTS strip/sensors

Rear view of PTS strip/sensors

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 07-28-2004, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
Damn I look tired. must be the flight. I feel for you STeve!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
THat main computer Wiedermann is referring to is the automatic transmission control unit.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 PM

C32 AMG 2002
wow, great pics thanks.... car looks great!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:40 AM

C32
Now that is what our cars should have looked like from the factory. That is an awesome job. Now the obvious question, how much for the parts and where do I get them. It will give me incentive to install all the stereo equipment I got lying around at the same time.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by sunman
Damn I look tired. must be the flight. I feel for you STeve!
hahaha....I know exactly what you mean...

greetingz,
Old 07-29-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great installation! Nothing like modding a car with some interesting options no one has. You could take all the carpeting out and save about 100lbs in curb weight!!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
Looks really good. Now does it work??? JK.. Good job.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb PTS install additional comments!

M. VancouverC32:
Originally Posted by VancouverC32
Now that is what our cars should have looked like from the factory. That is an awesome job. Now the obvious question, how much for the parts and where do I get them. It will give me incentive to install all the stereo equipment I got lying around at the same time.
I had said to Mr sunman that I would expect those questions... and since I have been replying with the same information to PMs... I will post that regarding costs:

Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Costs... that is the "magic" word...LOL. If you are looking on all NEW parts which must be imported from Germany as they are not available in the US, you are looking aprox. on 3 thousand on parts alone.

If you go for used but working parts, you may be able to lower your costs "maybe" between 500 to 1000 bucks.

Installation???... that is the tricky part... You must know what you are doing or whomever is doing MUST know what they are doing... otherwise you can fry your car and/or installation will ended up costing you an small fortune. A MB dealership will probably charge you about 3000 bucks for the install (there are "instructions" in the Mercedes Benz online manuals only available to the dealerships... the tricky part is the instructions only cover the REAR PTS install... there are no instructions for the front!..LOL)

Cheers!

Wiedermann
IF you are really interested in the system and can not/would not spend the money to get the parts brand new from Germany directly (US dealers WILL not sell you the kit for any C class) then you might want to contact Mr. MBenzNL (aka Mr Steve!) as he may be able to get you a better deal... Installation???.. well that is another story...

Mr. smgC32:
Originally Posted by smgC32
Great installation! Nothing like modding a car with some interesting options no one has. You could take all the carpeting out and save about 100lbs in curb weight!!
Well... though it is a "great" savings after the carpeting is removed... we all put it back together (after the installation was completed!... lol )

Mr. Rareamg:
Originally Posted by Rareamg
Looks really good. Now does it work??? JK.. Good job.
YOU BET IT WORKS!... LOL... that was the main thing to test... I had the privilege to have Mr Sunman himself doing the install (with no hands and his eyes closed!!!... KIDDING!!!) AND two visitors: Mr. Awiner and Mr. CynCarvin32 whom were there to witness and helps us test the system... it all works fine!...

On an additional wording ... as Mr Sunman has also mentioned... for example when he (sunman) did the install on his car... the system "worked" for about a week; then, while he was doing some other work on his car the system went down (that is a "built in" security on the system that if anything is wrong even with one sensor the whole PTS shuts down and generates a log with all the errors... to re-initialize the system, after the errors have been corrected (if any) the log has to be cleared to reset the system) and the only way to get the system back up in sunman's case was to clear the log, etc which has to be done at the dealer as the car needs to be plugged in to the Start diag system (if you happen to have one -Star diag system) and know what you are doing like Mr Stevo.. .then you can reset it "yourself" ) and reset the system for it to come back alive. Yesterday, after we finished the install... "initially" though the system was recognized, it would not work.. that was due that a relay was not in the rear sam... as soon as we plugged in the relay on the rear sam... bang!!!.. .it worked... is working today and until I either get rear-ended or I crush into someone, the system WILL work just fine.

Mr Suman!!!: One thing that I saw in WIS at the dealer today... cause I did some additional research as to "why" some systems generate errors, and some don't why some work from the start and some don’t... IF you take the relay that I had missing and do ANY work on PTS, so as long as all the components in PTS work fine, AFTER you finished with the work, THEN plug back in the relay --like we did yesterday-- and your system won't shut down... for example even on un-related or non-related PTS work... just to be save, take the sucker out (relay) to protect your system... (chances are that you have an electrical abnormal discharge, even static and the relay caught it and that took your system offline... better you just have it out and put it back on when you are done with your work to prevent any abnormalities with PTS.
Something similar happened to me on service A... after I got my car back, the convenience feature was gone... (steering wheel and/or seat would not move even if the feature was "turned on")... at the end some abnormal discharged has fried part of the door control module and rendered that feature inoperable... solution???? the dealer "had" to replace the door module (took 2 months to fix due to dealership's negligence to order the part in a timely manner... the C32 (aka C3PO's food kart as named by Mr Vader13!!! sat in my garage wounded but not out!!!... )

Cheers

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 07-29-2004 at 06:28 PM. Reason: PTS install additional comments!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:22 PM

everything and anything
Originally Posted by cschow
Well, the Lidatek LE-30 is yet to be installed. I have the V-1 stealth mounted and it hasn't attracted any attention yet.
I'm curious to know where did you finally have your V1 installed, and are you using the remote display for the V1 also.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Costs... that is the "magic" word...LOL. If you are looking on all NEW parts which must be imported from Germany as they are not available in the US, you are looking aprox. on 3 thousand on parts alone.

If you go for used but working parts, you may be able to lower your costs "maybe" between 500 to 1000 bucks.
Pardon my ignorance..... but if it does cost add'l $3K, why didn't you buy the one w/ the options directly from Germany? I don't think the option itself costs $3K.

I know CA may be a little bit difficult to get European Delivery due to emission control
Old 07-30-2004, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Cool PTS European order

Mr. zoink:

Originally Posted by zoink
Pardon my ignorance..... but if it does cost add'l $3K, why didn't you buy the one w/ the options directly from Germany? I don't think the option itself costs $3K.

I know CA may be a little bit difficult to get European Delivery due to emission control
I have ordered/purchased cars directly in Europe, especially M Benz. Some of those M Benzes actually, could and would never be shipped to the US, though perfectly drivable in Europe, due to a bunch of legal lingo example, listed in no particular order, not restricted to: Governing laws regarding the little corner orange light that has to be in the corner, in other cases emissions --I have an E-AMG that would never pass emissions and speed limitations as they are laid out in the USA, I am not willing to "modify" the car to basically cut the power in half so it just can "pass" emissions testing or plant chips to reduce the max speed, etc--, others that simply the car could not be driven except as a "golf" car... (I have an smart "pill" size car, really nice that I thought I could drive in town... whelp???? after purchasing the car I found out I would never be able to drive the car either on the freeway or any road where speed limits are above 35 mph... --car still is at my house in Austria --

PTS is not orderable on C classes under European delivery/shipment by Mercedes Benz. I DID try to do that and the dealer would not ship the car with PTS (W203 chassis). I could have opted to purchase the car and independently ship the car, however I didn't opt for that route.

I don't recall saying I spend 3k on the install.. I could have spent more or less ... haha!!!... but if I told ya, like James Bond, I would have to kill ya!...

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 07-30-2004, 02:04 AM

C32
When you think about it, we all lost $10-15,000(US) in a very short time in depreciation. What is another few thousand dollars to have an original, nicely modified, yet stock setup. All the power to you. That is an install that I respect.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Red face Depreciation costs

Originally Posted by VancouverC32
When you think about it, we all lost $10-15,000(US) in a very short time in depreciation. What is another few thousand dollars to have an original, nicely modified, yet stock setup. All the power to you. That is an install that I respect.
Mr. VancouverC32:

Your comments are certainly well appreciated, as well as Mr. zoink's comments before too. I wanted PTS on my C32 from the beginning... I watched it being removed as the car was built to be shipped to the US... so having it is to me definitely worth it. Those depreciation costs on cars are scary for sure!

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 07-30-2004, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Well, different ppl different preference..... PTS is certainly a useful option even though I really prefer the rear camera, just like MDX and Lexus (or the almost-forgotten Q45)... For me the difference between the two is like having just a regular radar detector vs. a camera that points where the police is hiding :p.....

Too bad mercs do not have one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finished Parktronic install on c32