C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

shifting problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
shifting problem?

Hi guys. I was driving on the mass pike today and gunned it for a few seconds. When I let of the gas and applied the gas again, the transmission stayed in gear (3rd i think). I pressed the gas lightly, it didn't upshift. Then I pressed the brake, still nothing. I then pressed the brake harder; but it still remained in gear at a high rpm. Finally I pressed the gas lightly again and it shifted. Kinda wierd because it was sticking at 5000rpms.

I know the computer is supposed to adapt to the driver, but is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:19 PM

2002 C32
i had this happen to me a few times too...

i think the computer gets confused sometimes and doesn't know what to do..
Old 08-09-2004, 04:32 PM

it does that as it learns how you drive or if the ecu is fairly new or if it has been reset.

also it does this after a track day for me because it learns about the track shifting characteristics and think I am just lifting to get myself right in a corner. Lifting and getting back on should keep you in gear unless you are driving pretty conservatively and then the ecu will upshift if you lift.

Just use the manual tip for 70% of your driving and your ecu keeps a pretty aggressive shifting sequence.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Prasith32
it does that as it learns how you drive or if the ecu is fairly new or if it has been reset.

also it does this after a track day for me because it learns about the track shifting characteristics and think I am just lifting to get myself right in a corner. Lifting and getting back on should keep you in gear unless you are driving pretty conservatively and then the ecu will upshift if you lift.

Just use the manual tip for 70% of your driving and your ecu keeps a pretty aggressive shifting sequence.
Thanks for the quick replies. The car has 800 miles on it. Maybe it is still "learning" Especially since i've only recently started to push it (break in period).
Old 08-09-2004, 05:09 PM

2006 Corvette Coupe
I noticed when I went to get gas in the middle of a track day the C32 would hold onto 2 and 3rd gear until 5000+ rpm even with very light throttle pressure. Normally on light throttle pressure it would shift into the next highest gear at about 3K.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:30 PM

C32
Originally Posted by hantzis
Thanks for the quick replies. The car has 800 miles on it. Maybe it is still "learning" Especially since i've only recently started to push it (break in period).
It is normal for the car to hold the gear for a little while after you floor it. My C32 does the same thing and a previous Porsche with tiptronic did the same thing as well.