C55 AMG slipping trans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 amg
C55 AMG slipping trans

Hello guys,

So I've been trawling through old posts but can't find anything similar to what I'm experiencing.

It all started about a month back. I went for a spirited drive against an Rs4 and we were at it for a good 20 or so minutes.

Eventually we had enough and called it. About 10min of cruising took place before I stopped at a light.

I pulled off normally and as soon as it shifted to 2nd the trans started to slip but it could still accelerate. Think of a badly slipping clutch in a manual car.

It got progressively worse to a point where the car would not move but I managed to pull off the road safely.

I started called my mechanic to let him know and he asked me to check a couple of things. It was a 10min call at most.

I then started the car and engaged drive and it moved again. Drove about 500m before it started the issue again.

I let the car cool off again and could again drive but just pulled into a safe place and flat bedded the car home.

Due to lockdown and me having another car, i didn't do anything much until last week.

My first check was the trans fluid. It looked quite burnt when it came out. Replaced the oil with genuine MB trans oil and replaced filter.

Did a small test on the day and drove for roughly 4km with no issues but knew i needed more of a test. Took the car out yesterday and cruised for about 15km up and down hills with no issues. Made my way back home and really hammered the car and again, no issues.

Today, needed to do some shopping in the area and took it out again. Went to the shops just fine. On my way home though, it started making this high pitched whirling noise as if something was slipping, it got progressively worse and eventually stopped. I pulled off and called for a tow immediately. After that call which was less than 2min. I could drive again for about 200m before it again would slip to a point where I couldn't drive. The sound is similar to a high pitched spinning motor.

I was less than 300m from my home so I just got a relative to tow me home while the car idled in neutral.

Got home and I could start and drive the car into my garage where the car is now parked.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted everyone to have a clear understanding before giving an opinion.

I've made a couple of calls and it points to the valve body assembly on top of the conductor plate.

Bare in mind I has changed the plate 3 months ago due to the infamous radiator issue mixing water and tranny fluid.

Gearbox was flushed twice with new oil at that time.

Any ideas on what it is?