C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How to remove clearcoat from wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:35 AM
IS1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
Unhappy How to remove clearcoat from wheels?

Unfortunately my new Iforged wheels are losing all their clearcoat from the center of the wheel out. They are a high polish underneath and I think I'm better off with no clearcoat and just keep them polished. To avoid the hassle and expense of sending them back to Iforged is the anything that will take the clearcoat off without damaging the high polish finish? Apparently Iforged does not warranty clearcoat peeling if it starts from the center of the wheel anyhow.
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 PM

C32 AMG
that seems like quite a scam, why wouldn't they warranty if they start in the middle? i would say shot-pean them with glass to remove the clearcoat but i am not sure if that would affect the polished aluminum below. ur best bet would be to contact a rim repair shop in your area and have them chemically strip the CC.

if it were me though i would definitely cause some serious **** over at iForged. those asses seem to get away with far too much, ***** and complain ALOT, hopefully they'll fix your problem. and when i say alot, i mean call EVERYDAY. don't be afraid to demand your rights, don't be embarrased just nag them and threaten to call the BBB or ruin their name on the internet.

hope you have some luck!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:08 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by IS1
Unfortunately my new Iforged wheels are losing all their clearcoat from the center of the wheel out. They are a high polish underneath and I think I'm better off with no clearcoat and just keep them polished. To avoid the hassle and expense of sending them back to Iforged is the anything that will take the clearcoat off without damaging the high polish finish? Apparently Iforged does not warranty clearcoat peeling if it starts from the center of the wheel anyhow.
Thanks!
When my rims got covered in clearcoat after a shop repainted my Cobra, they used acetone to remove the spray. They then washed off the acetone using a water hose a couple minutes later. But I would do some research before you do this to verify it won't damage the polish finish.

Good luck,
Dean
Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Originally Posted by IS1
Thanks!
The best way is to polish out all the clearcoat......which cost $$$.. ..Good luck !
Old 08-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Another horror story about Iforged.