C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

E320 to C55 Attitude Change?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
No offence to CNTLaw and the other guys on this board but if CNT is so concerned about comfort and wants a little extra power, why not go for the E500 instead (for about the same price)? You could also choose one of those Canful Brabus's or mod the E500 yourself if you want more zip and style. I personally believe unless you are going to hang out in those Taipo supercar meets on Sunday, you're not going to be able to make full use out of the performance of the C55 anyway. But then again, its too late and its just my honest opinion.

As for the W210 being outdated, with a nice set of wheels and a nice body kit (not saying mine are), the old E's still look quite contemporary.

CNT, enjoy your new ride. If in real doubt, you can always get Zung Fu to change it for another before you take delivery.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by RiNsE_OuT
I share the same mixed feelings. I don't own either , but am trying to decide b/t C55 loaded and an E320 with Appearance/Sport and Premium Pkg. MSRP on both is roughly the same. Overall, I fear that if I go for the AMG, it will have just been for the "look" and status, and that the same price would have got me more car in terms of everyday driving and value with the W211.
Some things about the C55 that make me weary that others may want to consider:
Yes its truly a sexier car with loads of performance. But how often will you truly use all of that power? If you live in a conjested area as I do, there is little or no opportunity to exceed the speed limit and really open it up. Could lead to engine problems down the road. How bad are the winters where you live? I don't even want to think about driving the C55 on ice or snow. Are you prepared to buy new tires every 2 or 3 years? The Z-rated performance tires are going to wear quicker and provide less comfort for everyday driving.
For me, it's a very tough decision. The lure of the AMG exclusivity is very powerful.

RiNsE_OuT

I got my C55 today and drove it to places I used to go in HK - narrow car parks, terrible condition roads, high ways.

Even this thread is not intended to compare the pros and cons of the E320 and C55, but I can share some points here from all these night and day MB dream.

First, it is impossible that " I can enjoy the fuzzy luxury and comfort found from a E saloon on a C with a AMG engine that can race " . We are a true bunch of fuzzy guys here and we can not deceive ourselves.

A C55 is intended to be a race car but the clever MB designers have tried their best to make us think that we are still keeping some and most of what can be offered from luxury saloons. e.g. four doors, exceptional sound proof, and these can cheat/please our old parents or wife.

So, all I say is , no , there is no where near that a C can offer the luxury and comfort that can be offered by the E. Thus, we have to accept the C55 is indeed a race car.

But if you really want to find out what a race car really is, i is also wrong to think that you can live with a E320,350,even a E500 (that I never drove before); so I say it is impossible right after I done with the 367hp engine on the C 's light and solid body. And now I know why people would want a C65 !

Before you make a choice, we have to put the E500 and E55 aside because of the higher price tags

If you are really into the appreciation of the latest and most fuzzy features , roomy, the best human transportation from point A to point B, all weathers, and an 'affordable' MB saloon, go for the E320(W211) ( or I would wait for the E350 7 speed.)

If you really want to feel and own a race car ( and I tell you , goosh , don't wait any longer, you will not regret ) which with not so fuzzy but fuzzy enough features , C55 is the ONE.

Finally, my main concern of AMG suspension on bad roads in HK is now pretty clear after a day ride on those roads.
They are the PERFECT MATCH on the C55 , comfort or not is not the main concern anymore.

Yes, the C55 suspension is much 'harder' than the E320AV(W210). The car bounces heavier on bumps; but I feel less disruptive than sitting on the W210. Guess it is because of the better holding seats on the C55 than the W210. W211 will have better seats but I never test drive one.

So I would say, I accept the C55 can be a day to day car in HK gladly.

cnt
Old 08-20-2004, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Whitey
No offence to CNTLaw and the other guys on this board but if CNT is so concerned about comfort and wants a little extra power, why not go for the E500 instead (for about the same price)? You could also choose one of those Canful Brabus's or mod the E500 yourself if you want more zip and style. I personally believe unless you are going to hang out in those Taipo supercar meets on Sunday, you're not going to be able to make full use out of the performance of the C55 anyway. But then again, its too late and its just my honest opinion.

As for the W210 being outdated, with a nice set of wheels and a nice body kit (not saying mine are), the old E's still look quite contemporary.

CNT, enjoy your new ride. If in real doubt, you can always get Zung Fu to change it for another before you take delivery.

Whitey

Thanks. All your points taken.

Yes, before I got the C55, E500 is MY MB CAR because I love gargets and luxury features and just like most Mb lovers, I surely love the grand outlook of the 211 more than 203 or my ex 210.

Before MB announced the C55, the very dear E500 has good value for the money because it offers ALL the MB's latest technology and the first time a 5 litre NA engine ever on a E. Airmatic is a plus plus. So practically, it is definitely the ONE.

Obviously, when it comes to decide a change; one always look at the incremental values from previous cars owned.
A few reasons ( some quite personal ) that I had to give up considering the E500 this time:-

1. The E500 211 with full options priced 1.05 million HKD, My 210 was bought at 520K HKD and its preowned car value is 300K. I have to make up the ~705K difference. It is surely for any one here to find enough facts to decide than just to compare incremental technical data.

2. Too many E's and S's on the roads in HK. The E500 wil only draw some attentions and pride if it is fully equiped with AMG outfits. And, what about those E55 and CL55 in HK. For that show off matter in mind and if One prepares to spend 1.05 million , he can also prepare to spend 1.3 million to get the SL350. How about try the new Porsche 997.........So this 'thinking' did not lead me to a conclusion at the right time.

3. The coming soon E350 7 speed might be a more sensible decision for a less steep improvement and spend. Should I stick with this and wait and see what CLS and whatever MB will come up with in a year or so?

I am not sure if above that you would be convinced. One thing I know, timing is important. I did drag this for too long, I should have got the E500 a year ago before the HK government raised the reg. tax.... and before they annouced C55, CLS350, SLK350....

cnt
Old 08-20-2004, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Wasssup CNT, still up at this hour? The C55 keeping you up (Joke!).

The C55 is a really mean car and its in a different category (note: I'm not using the word "class" here). I'd consider it if I have the money but given you have so many worries about ride and size, I just thought the E500 and yes, E350 or 320 even would have been a better choice. You should not feel you're down grading since the C55 is definitely an upgrade from the Advantgarde, no doubt about it AMG road springs are generally designed for both comfort and performance so you shouldn't have too much to worry about....you'll appreciate the handling along Lung Cheung Road etc. If still unhappy, a set of Eibach springs (less than HKD5K), which are generally very comfortable will solve the problem without compromising too much of the handling - let me know if you need help. Let me know if you want to experience how they feel on my E.

As for the CLS, no body here in HK has too much insight about them in terms of performance, will just have to wait till Tezta gets his next year......

Last edited by Whitey; 08-20-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
BTW, don't tell me you're working in Evergain Plaza in Kwai Chung.......
Old 08-20-2004, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Yes, the C55 suspension is much 'harder' than the E320AV(W210). The car bounces heavier on bumps; but I feel less disruptive than sitting on the W210. Guess it is because of the better holding seats on the C55 than the W210. W211 will have better seats but I never test drive one.

So I would say, I accept the C55 can be a day to day car in HK gladly.

cnt
The stock W210 springs tend to "wobble" around bends, especially at high speeds, hence probably why you feel "disrupted". When I upgraded to my current springs, the wobbles went away

I (and I'm sure the others will do) am very glad but not surprized you like your new ride!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
The stock W210 springs tend to "wobble" around bends, especially at high speeds, hence probably why you feel "disrupted". When I upgraded to my current springs, the wobbles went away

I (and I'm sure the others will do) am very glad but not surprized you like your new ride!

Whitley

I am still in a cloud of puzzles what 210 behaved.
The wheels are very noisy on the road even after I changed the tires to the very famous quite ones Bridge 03.

Your idea of the spring was likely the answer
and then you might not know what bad roads are here

cnt
Old 08-20-2004, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Whitley

I am still in a cloud of puzzles what 210 behaved.
The wheels are very noisy on the road even after I changed the tires to the very famous quite ones Bridge 03.

Your idea of the spring was likely the answer
and then you might not know what bad roads are here

cnt
Dude, of course I know the roads, I used to do the exact same route you take to work and I do go out to your neck of woods every now and then, I now work in Fotan I'm sure your new baby will handle those roads a bit better.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Dude, of course I know the roads, I used to do the exact same route you take to work and I do go out to your neck of woods every now and then, I now work in Fotan I'm sure your new baby will handle those roads a bit better.
Actually not a doubt after the first hour of driving the C55 , I can almost be certain that the C55 is 'more comfortable' overall on the same roads I use.
I am no expert and can only guess that the C has a more solid chasis ( heavy body of the E does not mean the chasis is more solid than the C ) plus the harder suspension means the car is bumpy but less 'swinging' ; thus this is why I feel less disruptive as a passenger on the C.

Of course, when passing the road 's various obstacles in slow motion, the reactive response of the hard AMG suspension is more noticeble than the E.

cnt